Monday, September 6, 2010

So many ideas, so little time...

Over the past few days I've had so many great ideas for posts but so little time to write them. Maybe I'll just try to condense them all into bullet points - but I don't want to bore my readers!

First and foremost - my little baby has a cold! He's been struggling with it since Friday night. Today his boogies have turned a slight shade of yellow. But otherwise he is a happy baby. And now hubbie is not feeling well, again, so he is contemplating a daddy and son trip to the doctor tomorrow. I am praying and praying I do not catch what either of them have. Tomorrow is my first day of teaching in 8 whole months and I can't get sick! But most of all, I hope my family gets better soon so we can enjoy this spectacular weather we've been having. I did manage to take Cole out for a walk this morning in the stroller, so at least he's getting some fresh air. Hubby is under strict orders today to do nothing but rest, watch tv or read. No computer for him! Rest only.

As far as my first two days back at work went -- the opening days last week were great. I got a good amount of work done and I felt like the "speeches" by our administrators were honest and positive and I really appreciated that. I'm looking forward to this year and the changes we are making to the curriculum. I also found out good news- I am not traveling this year between the two schools. I will be at the school I've been at for two years. On the 11th hour, literally, they added two more sections, and I got to stay there full-time. Nice! Makes life a helluva lot easier for me.

Cole and I in the Beco Gemini
On the babywearing front - we got yet another carrier. I know, I know, I'm obsessed with these carriers. But both Keith and I agreed that this carrier would be a good carrier and better for Cole's spine. Right now, we use the Baby Bjorn because Cole LOVES facing out. But the Baby Bjorn puts pressure on his spine, which is certainly not good for his development. Fortunately, Cole doesn't spend that much time in it so it's not a huge deal, but I'm always thinking about it. Plus, the Baby Bjorn pulls on my shoulders and it is not that easy to get things done with him in it. It took me 20 minutes to weigh and pack the produce at the CSA last week with Cole in the Baby Bjorn, all the while fending off mosquitoes and other various bugs. So we purchased the Beco Gemini, which is a new design and has 4 different carries: front facing out, front facing in, hip carry, and back facing in. The only problem is that Cole's head does not entirely fit over the front. His little head kind of peeks over it, as you can see. Although he can see out perfectly fine, I think he'd prefer more of his face be free from obstruction. But I will tell you this, it is SO much more secure than the Bjorn. I'm excited to take Cole hiking in it.

In other news, because of Cole's cold we had to cancel our trip down to Long Island. We had planned for Cole to meet my grandmother, to celebrate my dad's birthday and to go to a wedding all on Saturday and Saturday night. But we did not want to take the chance of making Cole sick by traveling so far. It takes at least 2.5 hours to get down to where my father lives.  We felt terrible canceling on Dad and on Dan and Julie, whose wedding we were going to attend. But we've got to put our little baby first. We are hoping to get down to LI sometime soon so that Cole can finally meet my grandmother.

My dad took this picture of Keith and I at the reservoir

A few weeks ago, right after Joann's wedding, my father came up for a visit and I totally forgot to post about it or post pictures. We went for lunch at Bread Alone in Boiceville and then went for a drive and walk by the Ashokan Reservoir, which supplies water to NYC.
Cole & I at Bread Alone
Three generations: Dad, me and Cole
   The road that once went through the Ashokan Reservoir but was closed after  9/11


Oh and to my dear readers: I am participating in the blog-a-thon posted below, so my goal is to post every day. I've only missed one day so far - but I think I have a good excuse!

3 comments:

  1. I have the Beco Butterfly II and LOVE it. I'm so glad you updated to the Gemini from the Bjorn. A little piece of my babywearing heart dies every time I see a baby in a Bjorn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the Butterfly II also, but Cole does not love it. We have learned that if we want to wear our baby, most of the time he must be facing out, so he is not crazy about the Butterfly. (That is why I jumped for the Gemini). If you check out my hiking post in July, there is a picture of Cole in the Butterfly II. And I understand about the Bjorn. I felt that way too until I got it from my friend. It calms Cole down instantly when he is fussy, the way no other carrier/sling can. It's funny because we went to a birthday party recently and Keith said he felt like he was getting bad vibes from other parents for wearing the Bjorn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nora went through a couple of days of a stuffy nose. It is not fun. Hope they feel better soon.

    So I had a Bjorn with my first and thought it was ok but since have been made aware of the dissadvantages. How does the Beco compare to the Ergo which we have now?

    ReplyDelete