Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sick mommy

If you're a sick mommy, being a breastfeeding mommy doesn't help - especially if you dare to have a sinus infection, which I've had for over a month. You can't take decongestants, which can REALLY help a sinus infection, and you have to be careful which antibiotics you take. And if you've had sinus infections before, you know that many antibiotics used to treat sinus infections don't always work and that there are some sinus infections resistant to most antibiotics. But of course you don't figure that out until AFTER you're done taking one particular course of antibiotics. Instead the symptoms seem to go away a little bit but then they come back in full force a few days later. And as a breastfeeding mommy, when you do dare to go on antibiotics you have to worry about the side effects of that medicine on your baby's digestive system, where many times the medicine wreaks havoc - causing painful gas and diarrhea.

As a result you end up with a sick mommy who doesn't get much sleep, who can't take anything really to keep the sinus infection at bay and who also happens to work in a germ factory. (An overheard-in-the- hallway the other day is a case in point  - an administrator was heard asking a student "What's that up your nose?" Sorry I never got around to posting that, but I was too busy coughing phlegm up while pumping.)

All of those factors lead to more sickness. In fact, I've been sick for 5 weeks now. It's a vicious cycle and  I wish I had some answers on how to stop it. For now, I'll try this new antibiotic and pray to whatever higher spirit is out there that my face stops hurting, my ears and nose unclog and that I can breathe clearly again without having to cough up yellow-greenish phlegm!

No comments:

Post a Comment