Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The bane of my existence

Grading. That is the bane of my existence. One year during one horrendous stretch of grading we were doing in the office, one of my co-workers said that grading was killing her soul. I couldn't agree more. In fact I wrote a poem about it inspired by her observation. But I can't for the life of me what journal I put it in, so you'll never have the pleasure of reading it.  Maybe if I ever get out from under the pile I have created for myself, I can write a new one. On Monday, I just collected essays from my students. They are good essays so far, but grading them is the challenging part. I HATE putting a number on language. I HATE putting a number on words that students have painstakingly put together to create beautiful flowing sentences and stories that are so interesting they put my first year essays to total and complete shame. I took an hour after school to start the grading, because if I don't, I will procrastinate and then it will be close to the end of the quarter and THAT would not be pretty. I am trying to be pre-emptive about this, but it took me that whole hour to grade SIX essays. Ten minutes per essay! It's because I've been out of the game for 8 long months that I spent sooooo much time assessing these 6 essays. It's also because these students have spent hours putting this essay together, both in class and out of class (I could be exaggerating though. I truly have no idea how long they spent on their essays at home). Anyway, I've got to streamline the process. I'm going to have to do this for the next few days and Keith may even have to pick up Cole from daycare one day so I can get the work done. I hate to leave him there for so long but this is part of my job as an English teacher. The grading must get done.

NOT the bane of my existence
What was nice, was at the end of that long hour of grading, I picked up Cole from day care and I was so happy to see him. So happy. He was also so happy to see me. He had the most adorable smile on his face when he finally noticed me. I try to get his milk in the fridge and his car seat ready before he notices me, because if he notices me sooner and I don't pick him up right away, he cries. And it's the saddest cry ever. His lips form this tremendous frown and his face gets red immediately and the tears flow quickly. Thankfully, he noticed me when I was ready to pick him up and we had a joyous reunion.

Today he had a well baby visit, the first one I was not present for. He weighs: 15 lbs 8 oz. and is 26 inches long. Wooh! Baby is growing! Doctor says he is perfect. I like the sound of that. I wish I could tell you his head measurement, but Keith forgot to get it in writing. I think I may call up and see if they can tell me. Maybe it's just me, but I like to know these things. He had more vaccines and so tonight he was a bit cranky.

This morning Grandma Carolyn dropped off the most adorable handmade hat for Cole at my job. We'll be taking a picture and I'll be posting it soon. Thanks Carolyn!

What will follow this post will be a post or two of pictures: studio outtakes and pics from our hike this weekend. Cole and I went on a walk around Split Rock at Mohonk on Saturday morning while Keith worked and on Sunday we went on a family hike with friends, Peter and Peg. Peter posted some gorgeous photos from that hike on Facebook if you haven't seen them already.  And yes, the funniest part about that hike was when I asked Keith to take a picture of me with my iPhone and there among the two of them, according to Peter, is $14,000 worth of camera equipment (yes the three of them carried that stuff into the woods). But in my defense - I wanted something I could post to my blog FROM my iPhone! Sometimes I blog from my phone via the email while I am pumping. I like to blog a post with a picture attached, just as I'm sure you like to read those.

So the date is set. Cole will be meeting my grandmother, his great-grandmother on Nov. 20. Keith and I are making a day trip to LI to see Mom. I can't wait for the two to meet. I think it will really make her day - maybe even her week!

And this weekend we are heading to New Jersey on Saturday for Lucas' first birthday party. Today is his first birthday and speaking of birthdays - Junie will be 10 months on Friday and Cole will be five months next Wednesday. Lori's boy is also due next Thursday! Wooooa. So many babies, so little time. It's just such an amazing time. It's so awesome that all of our kids will be around the same age. Our pool parties will be just as fun!

3 comments:

  1. Okay so now I am completely freaking out because for some reason, it never dawned on me that you are an ENGLISH teacher!!!!! And have been reading my crap writing for months now. And I now feel the overwhelming urge to go back and correct all of the typos, comma splices, sentence fragments and more. I'm sure you've mentioned this before, but somehow it evaded my memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - there is no reason to freak out because your blog is like candy for me. Your writing is impeccable and so fluid, I often wonder why you are not a professional writer - and that is no exaggeration. I look forward to reading your posts and feel like I've hit the jackpot when I find an older post hidden among the newer posts that I didn't see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, now I am going to be getting a big head. Thank you for such wonderful compliments! And yes, I will stop freaking out now!

    ReplyDelete