Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The long and the short

I had this whole post going last night (about how the baby had stopped screaming - for the night at least) and then the baby started screaming. Again. For the 4th or 5th night in a row I can't even keep count anymore. And then I lost the post. And while I was dealing with the screaming baby, I thought to myself that a perfect way to start this post would be something like this:

It's bad. Real bad.

But, it is and it isn't. That is to say. It's not bad during the day, but it sucks balls at night. And it's all because of the amoxocillin that I'm on for that crappy Lyme Disease I got from a stupid tick that bit me while checking my goddamn mail! Cole's digestive system is not happy with the trace amounts of the penicilin that pass through the breast milk. If I were just on it for a week it wouldn't have been so bad. In fact, it only started bothering him the end of the second week on it. Now we're in week 3 and it is Trouble. To try to help his poor wittle tummy we've been giving him two bottles a day with infant probiotics in it. This is on top of the probiotics I've been taking with my medication.

Add all of this to a husband who was sick (now feeling better thanks to antibiotics) and you've got the weekend from hell. We cancelled all our plans and just stayed in the whole weekend trying to soothe the baby and get rest at the same time.

Tomorrow is my last full week day with Cole before I return to work. Thankfully I have a day off next week, but my next day off (aside from the weekends) is not until Columbus Day. I'm sad, very sad about having to leave him with someone else. I truly believe he will be in good hands. In fact, I went there today and they were so happy to see him and he enjoyed sitting in the arms of one of the teachers. I asked if they would tell me everything that goes on during the day with him and they said they would, but they would keep to themselves any milestones, so that I'm not upset that he crawled or walked or did something like that in front of someone else first. The director said her daughter took her first steps at the babysitter's years ago.  The director was so upset, she cried. And I totally understood, because I think I would cry if I missed out on a milestone like that. So her experience influenced her philosophy for day care. Pretty cool. I get excited about things like him looking at his toes for the first time - a crawl or first word uttered in front of someone else who wasn't me, that would be hard to take. So I am thankful that they will allow me to experience it with Cole as if it was his first. Either way, he will be super excited, whether it was his first crawl or second crawl. And I think in this case, for me, ignorance will be bliss.

Today was my last meeting for New Baby, New Paltz and I came home with MORE CLOTHES! So freaking awesome. Two of the moms came in with tons of clothes (some for the colder months) so I jumped on those. I also picked out two itty bitty baseball type soft caps for Cole to wear to block out the sun. They are so cute! I put one on him while wearing him in the Baby Bjorn while walking to the store in New Paltz later on in the afternoon and he looked freaking adorable! I'll post a picture soon. The meeting was great. We talked about vaccines and sleep and swapped birth stories. There was no topic this week, but the conversation just kind of flowed from one topic to the next. I am sooooooo going to miss going to that group. It has helped tremendously and connected me and Cole to other mothers and babies.  After the meeting, I went with Emma and her daughter to P&G's. Emma is the other mother from our Bradley class. We had such a nice long lunch!

Be back soon for a post on my first week of work!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Cole and poor mommy! Ugh! Sorry you are dealing with that. I go back to work on Tuesday next week so I understand those feelings although this is my second. Cole will do fabulous there and it will get easier as the days go on for you! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete