Thursday, August 12, 2010

To Swaddle or Not to Swaddle?

That is the  question. By now you've seen numerous pictures of Cole in swaddle blankets or some form of swaddle ensemble like the Halo Sleep Sack, the Swaddle Me blanket, or the Miracle Blanket. Yes, sadly we own all three. We also own various types of receiving and swaddling blankets.

We first learned about swaddling at the birth center where we watched the DVD, Happiest Baby on the Block. We swaddled Cole from the very first night and Cole fought us from the very first day. It make sense. For five months he lived inside my womb, where he was constantly being squeezed by my contracting uterus. It was never harmful to him, but after most contractions, I felt Cole kick. Even in the womb, he hated to be confined. Yet, like all babies, it is that confinement that soothes him in the first few months outside the womb. Keith & I predicted correctly that Cole would not like to be swaddled. But just because a baby doesn't like something doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

However, several authorities have different ideas about when a baby should cease being swaddled.
Our midwife says when they break out of it then that is a sign the baby has outgrown being swaddled and Cole's doctor seemed to vaguely agree. (I don't think he wanted to tell me what to do). However, Harvey Karp (author of Happiest Baby on the Block) says that even if a baby screams when he's swaddled - what happens when you release him from the swaddle? You got it - he screams even louder.

I write this because although Cole hates being swaddled, it's what helps him fall asleep and stay asleep. As I said before, Cole fights  it  - literally he tries to break out of it - but he's been doing that since he was born - so does that mean he's "grown out of it" ?  When he was about 1.5 months old I came across a brochure for the Miracle Blanket. After much research, I bought one directly from the company because they had a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Cole broke out of it the first night. I thought it was working and the next thing I know, his little hand is poking through. I considered returning it - I even called the company. But they gave me a few things to try before giving up on it. We did those and it seems to have worked better. Case in point - the Miracle Blanket is what we used to swaddle him on our camping trip and it worked like a charm. He did not break out of it, and he slept soundly (well, at least that first night). Many times, when he is struggling to break free, I ask myself - is this the right thing to do? Yet, when the swaddle keeps his arms from flailing into his face in the middle of a sound sleep, I have the answer to my question.

No comments:

Post a Comment