Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Many thanks to Grandma!

Today, despite my new status as Lyme Disease Sufferer, I still went about town and, later, got some work done. Cole and I, after a nice productive morning of playing on the floor and then napping, went to the monthly La Leche League meeting in New Paltz. Cole was enthralled by all the other babies and moms. He delayed his feeding for about 20 minutes while gawking at everyone. It really was adorable. He was paying particular attention to the baby next to me who happened to be born on the same day in the same hospital! Small world.

Afterwards, we got some groceries and came home. By the time Grandma Carolyn came over, however, my foot had swollen to the size of Alaska and she suggested I call the doctor's office. They told me to keep my foot elevated and call them in the morning if it wasn't any better. But I had planned to get work done in my office.  So keep my foot elevated? Bed rest long forgotten, I could barely keep it off the floor. I have work to do, people!

After all, I start teaching on Sept. 7 and we go back to work for conference days on Sept. 2 so I've got to get things in order. The time is a comin'. But what's a new mommy to do? That's why this post is dedicated to Grandma Carolyn. She is happy to babysit Cole, and I am thankful for the help. I managed to get a few hours of work done. I did not do any physical work in the office (despite it needing major reorganization) but managed to write my lesson for my first day. I also ordered my planbook and gradebook from this company that makes solid planbooks and gradebooks. Meaning - they don't fall apart halfway through the year.  

I really hate to spend the first day scaring and/or boring the shit out of my students, so I came up with a really creative lesson that I hope will get their attention and teach them to think critically about what they write in their everyday lives. Maybe, if I'm really ambitious, I'll post the lesson here and you can tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment