Thursday, August 19, 2010

The baby and his bottle

Cole is going through a growth spurt. Figures we are going to a wedding tomorrow night and NOW he has a growth spurt, which means he's more hungry than he usually is, and I sincerely hope I have enough milk for him to eat at Grandma's. I'm sure I will, but you know me - I worry.  Did I mention it will be our first night apart from the little guy?

Our first night of uninterrupted sleep.

I'll just let that sentence sit there, unbothered by anything or anyone. That is how I hope my sleep will be tomorrow night.

So as I was saying, he's been going through a growth spurt. After feeding him at 2:30 pm, my boobies had enough. I won't go into the details of how Cole had mistreated them, but they were sore. At 4 p.m. he was hungry again. I had a bottle in the refrigerator. I saw it and a light bulb went off over my head. I could give him a bottle!  Or I could at least try! Several minutes later, I had the bottle in hand and baby in the other. As soon as I set him down on the couch with me, he began rooting. He saw the bottle but the boob is much, much better. When I said no, he started to fuss. Then I put the bottle in his mouth. More tears. Then I talked to him and asked him if he was hungry. Then I put the bottle back in his mouth. He pushed it in a bit more and began sucking away. He downed that bottle in 10 minutes. Nice! It was my first bottle feeding and I'm glad he's so used to the bottle now that I can also give it to him.

Cole starts day care officially on Sept. 2, but I'm thinking I will bring him in two other days that week so that he can know that this is a safe place if I am there with him. I was also thinking of going there with a bottle and having one of them feed him. After all, it will be kind of strange for him to have a stranger feed him when he's there without us. Better to show him that the teacher is a friend not a foe.  He's been to the day care twice before but he was a newborn and probably won't remember. Besides, he was definitely sleeping the first time we went.

In other news, it would really help if we had cats that had some more color to them. I've sat on Clem or Kiwi god knows how many times in the past week. This definitely adds to my guilt of forgetting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment