Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The sound of the crickets


To me, the sound of the crickets is the sound of August. I love crickets, and I love August. But I HATE the end of summer. Slowly but surely, each day is getting shorter, and the crickets - by September - will be fewer. And September means I must go back to work.

So I am sad.  I've always been dumbfounded by teachers who say they get "bored" in August and look forward to September. Seriously?  How can you get bored? I can't. I love every single minute with my baby and my hubby. I know I said (and thought) in the past few weeks that I am okay with the summer ending. But now that it is so close, I realize I am not. So with that in mind, I have decided to not send Cole to day care tomorrow or any other day until I absolutely HAVE to and get my work done when Cole is sleeping. That means I have to forgo blogging for a few days - possibly a week (with the exception of one scheduled post). Depends on how many nights it takes for me to get my work done. I took today to get work done, but instead I spent the morning doing laundry, then went to the doctor, then came home and pumped and blogged. Then when I finally got down to work, I could not find the materials I had created in June for the upcoming school year. I was pissed!! I looked all over my house for them, went through file after file and still nothing. I could not for the life of me remember what I did with them. In the midst of it all, I had a mini breakdown, crying not because I couldn't find the damn syllabus I wrote, but because I had to go back to work in 7 days. Because I could no longer spend my weekday mornings walking around the back yard looking for "untsss" or splashing in the water table or being beckoned to sound the wind chimes. Someone ELSE gets to spend time with my kid. Not me. And that sucks. I'm sure you working moms go through this at the end of every weekend, and maybe you're thinking I'm lucky to have spent 8 weeks with my child. I know I am. Believe me. I just got so used to it, that going back to life that doesn't include 24/7 Cole is going to be difficult. So I am sad. But I will relish every single second of the next 7 days (even though two of those days I have to travel for baby showers). At the end of it all, I will write a post about our last week together. And it will be very ordinary. Because right now, ordinary is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment