Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The little things

The summer's ending is definitely bittersweet. It's nice to have a change in the weather, but that also then requires a change in our circumstances. I officially go back to work next week. I say "officially" because I have to put him into daycare tomorrow so I can get some planning done. That's unofficial. But it's part of my job, so I do it. I've essentially done next to nothing all summer. And that's fine. My summer is my time for me and for my family. I spend 50 hours a week working the other ten months of the school year. I deserve two months to focus on my life and my life only.

So these past few weeks I've learned to really appreciate the little things about Cole. The way he gets so excited when I chase him, or the way he cracks up when I tickle him or pretend I'm eating his stuffed animals. His face just lights up and he is so much fun to be around. Not that he isn't fun to be around when he's not smiling. But I melt when he smiles.

And my sweet boy has taken to hugging and kissing. He's already been hugging the cats for months now, but now he hugs Keith and I, sometimes from behind but also if we're lying down. He hugged a friend's son yesterday afternoon as they stood looking outside the sliding glass door. And he kissed me last night right before we went to bed. He is such a gentle soul. I love the little boy he is becoming.

In other news, I am sure every other blogger on the east coast is writing about this, so I am not alone, but today we had an earthquake. Or tremors from an earthquake with an epicenter in Virginia. Whatever it was, it was just plain frightening. I didn't quite know what it was at first, nor did I know what to do. All I knew was that I had to hold my son close to protect him. He was eating in his high chair,  and as the house swayed back and forth and the ground shook underneath us, I saw the cats diving for the floor, and heard objects knocking into one another. It was as if I lived underneath an elevated train and the train was passing right then. But there was no train. Then I thought maybe it was severe wind. And I thought this with my eyes glued to the open window where it was perfectly still and absolutely beautiful - barely a cloud in the sky. I think what it comes down to is that an earthquake is so unexpected here, that it's the last possible (but most logical) answer as you're searching for all possible causes. In a matter of seconds, I swiftly took Cole from the high chair, looked around the house for a "safe zone," briefly thought about the tub, but realized it would be safer outside.  By the time I walked outside, it was over. I realized how much worse it could have been. And for that I am thankful.

Expect in the next few hours a recap for what we did last week. I wrote it mainly so I could document what an average week has been like for us this summer.  It's not that timely (since it's already Tuesday), and it's probably boring to most of you, but I hope you enjoy the pictures.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've had a good summer. I've definitely enjoyed the longer posts and the pictures you've shared. It's been a good summer for blogging :)

    This stage is the best, right? I know we're probably going to say that at every stage of their lives (or at least until the hormones get the best of them), but seriously? This stage is the best. I can't believe how much fun Kale is to be around and I'm always thinking in the back of my head 'I can't believe this is the same kid as last year.' I have a feeling you deal with the same thing.

    We are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you had this summer. I actually look forward to grad school next fall because instead of class and crazy OT at work, it will be just class and a few days a week at work. More time with my babies.

    ReplyDelete