Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Love me some good recap

I only have a week before I begin working again.  Because of that date looming in the distance, I have been trying to enjoy every single moment spent with my cutie. And honestly, each day gets better than the previous one. He is so much fun to be around. He has so much energy and can find joy in the smallest things: a house made from a giant Amazon box; a trip around Grandpa Bill's living room in a laundry basket; a tunnel made with a blanket a couch and an ottoman; playing pretend with Mama; playing ball with Clem; hugging Kiwi; splashing in a giant mud puddle... The list can go on and on. The tantrums have been minimal lately, and that's probably because he is so easily distracted by something new. He craves these new experiences, and I feel so lucky to have had this summer (and so many more to come) to spend with him and give him the chance to enjoy these new experiences.

As I said in my comment box, I wish I had the chance to document each and every day with him - so that I can look back on this summer and remember all of the fun things we did. Since I can't do that now, I will give you a recap of what we did last week.

On Monday we relaxed at home and went on a brief shopping trip to buy milk and other food items for Cole and myself for the week. Relaxing at home involves going outside in the morning, nursing whenever we please, and napping whenever the urge strikes us (this only applies to Cole).





On Tuesday we visited Cole's grandparents on Keith's side. First, we stopped at the bank to say hi to Grandma Carolyn. Then we went to Grandpa Bill's house. Going to an unfamiliar house is so much fun for Cole because it means he gets to explore new territory. So Cole had fun - as evidenced by the photos below.

Even though we make visits, we wake up early, so we always go outside in the morning.
These shots are from that morning.



Cole contemplates his plan of exploration. Where to first?



A sweet walk with his grandfather

Keith liked this one the best, mainly because of Cole stretching his legs.

Laundry basket rides with Janet



On Wednesday we went to have lunch with Keith again and we ran through the fountains on the promenade at his work. We came home and went back out again to meet Amy and Elinor for an afternoon hike to Split Rock where the kids splashed, threw rocks, and we came across several long black snakes! Sadly, I took no pictures of the hike.

Lunch at Apple Pie Bakery


On Thursday Cole went to day care while I did 10 million things around the house (excluding any school work), bumped my knee pretty hard while rushing around, and then went and got a hearing test. I still have a small amount of hearing loss in my right ear, but it has not changed since 2 years ago. Good news!  After day care, Cole and I went to the farm to pick up our weekly share. I put Cole on my front in the Beco Gemini because the last time we went, he was on my back and he knocked the scale so hard with his hand that it almost came back and hit him in the head. Thankfully, since I had been reaching over to look at something, someone else saw it and caught it in time. I learned my lesson on that one. While in the front carry, Cole made several grabs for the scale, but since I could see what he was doing, I stopped him in his tracks. Then we went for a walk in his galoshes to look at the chickens and run through the mud puddles. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures of this because I was too nervous about him falling down - which he did anyway! Thankfully I had a blanket and a changing pad, and I was able to change his diaper and take his clothes off with out the mud dirtying the tan interior of my car.

On Friday, Cole and I traveled to New Jersey to visit my friend Lori and her 10-month old son Tommy. We went to a nearby farm and saw some cool farm animals. The photos are posted below. It was a lot of fun watching the two boys interact, and it was great to catch up with Lori.

Our morning. It always include a ride in the Cozy Coupe.


I showed Lori how to use the back carry with her Ergo. It was liberating for her!  Then the two of us wore the babies in the front carry at the farm. It was sunny, but fun.


Fun at Lori's (Cole gets to use another baby's high chair and his toys! Oh boy!) and then the farm where we saw goats and donkeys galore.


On Saturday, Cole and I met Rachel and Zev at the playground at Forsyth park. And guess what I learned? Rachel was on bed rest for half of her pregnancy too! She lives in the same town as me, during the same time, and she was on bed rest for the same exact reason (crazy contractions).  She told me about some meal services that I knew nothing about (that would've made Keith's job so much easier!), and I will definitely use should I be stuck on bed rest with Baby #2 (whenever that may be). Sadly, I took no pictures of the trip to the playground.

Then Cole and I went to Waddle and Swaddle after his nap. I'll write more about that trip in my next babywearing post titled "Babywearing: A History" or something like that. Then when Keith got home from shooting the wedding he was at all day, we went out for Sushi.
Cole stares at the neighbors.



On Sunday, we went for breakfast at Jack and Luna's and then while Keith met with a couple about a wedding at his studio, Cole and I played in the yard and got great news from our neighbors - they were donating their son's "rollercoaster" to us! It's a little worn and had to be cleaned, but who cares?! It will be loads of fun for Cole. Then their son, who will be 6 in two weeks, gave Cole tomatoes from their garden. Cole loved them so much that I gave him one from ours and he gobbled it up- getting juice and seeds all over himself. When Keith got home we went to Wiedey's to look at recliner/rockers for the nursery. My neck back kills with the cheap piece of sh$% we have, so I want something better. If I'm going to spend an hour every day of my life in that thing, it ought to be comfortable.

If your kid is ever bored - take him to a furniture store. Loads of fun!


Cole figuring out the purpose of the roller coaster.




1 comment:

  1. I love this post. You said it would be boring!
    I love the photos, the daily account of life with Cole. All of it. Cole is a lucky little boy to have such a mom!

    ReplyDelete