Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sleep Deprivation is the Leading Cause of Sleep Superstition

Sleep deprivation is what has caused me to write this post, erase it, write it all over again, edit it five times, and change the post title three times. I am THAT superstitious, people. If you had just spent the past year waking up every 2-3 hours a night (and sometimes every hour-and-a-half), you'd be superstitious too.

If you recall, I posted in July that things were getting better in the sleep department. Now I know I have written about sleep and sleep deprivation extensively on this blog, so you probably think it would only be natural that I be giddy to share a positive update. Maybe even a step-by-step guide or a how-to of how we got here and how you could get here too. Well, you couldn't be more wrong. I shared about Cole sleeping a long time once, and I totally jinxed us.  And as the post title explains, I am really superstitious when it comes to sleep. Sometimes Keith and I won't even discuss it. Other times we'll whisper it, or we won't complete our sentences. We'll say things like "Did he...?" or "I think he ..." And the other person will nod, totally understanding that yes, he did indeed just sleep.... a long time. It's crazy how 13 months of sleep deprivation will cause you to be so damn superstitious you won't even say something that happened just because you're so afraid it won't happen again.

So I had to wait until I saw some regularity in the sleep improvement department before posting any more details than what I've hinted at in previous posts this summer. I think we've turned a corner. I certainly hope we have. This is not to say that we don't have some nights when Cole wakes up once or twice (because we do), but there have been more nights where he's slept from the time he went to sleep to the time he woke up (which is still so vague, I know I'm sorry I just can't find it in me to give you concrete numbers. Maybe in another month).  But for those of you with babies who are champion sleep fighters like my own, there is hope for you.  The funny thing is, I am still pretty tired. But I guess that's what happens when you are raising a toddler. 

Here are some pictures...
Sleepyhead in the morning


Ready to fall asleep at the dinner table 

And you thought you'd see pictures of Cole sleeping. HA! Fooled you!

Did you really think I'd start taking pictures of Cole sleeping? Not on your life!

1 comment:

  1. Haha - I love this and can totally relate. The second picture of you just made me burst out laughing because I have TOTALLY been there. I'm so happy for you guys that things are changing in the sleep department. Things are slowly improving over here as well (although not as much as with Cole if I can read between the lines). It's a very slow, very long process and even though it's been HELL, don't you think it's been worth it? I'm so proud of both of us for making it through this past year of sleep deprivation and never caving to the "sleep trainers." You can now add a trophy of a snoring mama to your boob trophy.

    ReplyDelete