Saturday, December 4, 2010

Boobie Afflictions & other fun topics

Some women get recurrent bouts of mastitis. Others, thrush. Others, cracked nipples. Me, I get milk blisters. That's what was causing my duct to get clogged. This is not the first time. It happened about a month ago, but I didn't write about it, because I wasn't too keen on going into it, but now I realize it's something someone else could benefit from learning about. I didn't notice the blister at first, because like the last time, it was so faint. By this morning though, I could see the white spot on my nipple and I knew it had come back with a vengeance.  Using an epsom salt soak both in a bowl and on a washcloth, it finally opened up after a hot shower and lots of nursing and pumping. I have to keep soaking it for the next few weeks (yeah- good luck with finding the time to do that!), so that it doesn't reappear. Last time it took about two weeks to completely disappear.

In other news, we have a floor again! We put the co-sleeper away.  He has outgrown it, especially with being able to pull himself up into a sitting position. He's not there yet, but it's only a matter of time. He's been practicing the past few days and when that kid practices- geesh look out, because it's not long after that he gets accomplished what he has set out to do. He is one determined little boy. Look for pictures in the next few days of the cutie on the bedroom floor with his toys.

Today was a nice relaxing afternoon spent in New Paltz, My father came for a visit and we went to lunch at the Gilded Otter and used our high chair cover for the first time. It was a challenge at first, but we figured it out. We stopped a few shops and hit jackpot at Handmade and More. They have a great baby/kids section. We got a pair of mittens for Cole as well as the cutest little faux fur lined micro suede booties. So comfortable and toasty. He's napping in them right now. Also, we used the Peekaru vest I bought for the Beco Gemini. It was perfect. Cole was so toasty and comfortable, he actually napped completely upright as we walked.  It's funny because I almost returned it because the few times I tried it on him, he absolutely hated it and cried. I thought it was hopeless and didn't want to be stuck with this expensive vest I'd never use. But when I got there, the owner of Waddle n Swaddle (where I bought it) showed me how to make it work. I simply had to pull out Cole's arms from the inside and he no longer felt trapped or confined. It took a little manhandling outside of the Gilded Otter, but we got it to work and he was totally happy once we got him all comfortable. Totally keeping it and super excited to use it  again now that I've been successful with it.



Cole in his high chair at the Otter

My father and I at the Otter

Cole napping in the Beco Gemini covered
by the Peekaru vest

At the Mudd Puddle in New Paltz





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for passing along the Peekaru tips! I've been thinking of getting one and your post sold me on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete