Friday, November 2, 2012

The all knowing Cole

Wherein Cole remembers everything:

We pass the library and suddenly he's talking about the drum parade he went on during story hour this week. Next thing I know he wants to turn around and go to the library so he can have a drum parade. Two miles later he's in hysterics because I told him the library was closed.

We get home and immediately he zeroes in on the "teats" and starts demanding a lollipop. Dada and I had agreed on one treat a day, but the minute we get home? Come on. Much to my chagrin, he remembered what Dada had said to him as they left for day care - that he could have one later. "Dada wanted me to have it later." I thought this meant Dada told me I could have one later. Only to find out Dada had actually said "Ask Mama later and see what she says." I teach kids who lie in the face of truth. How the hell and why the hell did I fall for that one?

I'm changing his diaper and he's asking me "where did these jammies come from?" I tell him they were a gift from a friend. He said "Mama, you remember everything," which was something Dada had said to him a day or two before. No Cole, YOU remember everything.

Wherein Cole repeats everything we say and thereby sounds like a 35 year old toddler:
Mama: "All he wants is something sugary."
Cole: whining to Dada "All I want is somethin' sugary."

Dada: "The grass is perpetually wet this time of year."
Cole: "Why is the grass perpetually wet?"

Dada: "I can't believe those neighbors are Republican."
Cole: "Why can't you believe they're Repulican (sic)?"
The conversation then went on to include Republican motivation and mud-slinging and Cole was very good natured about it all, asking Dada "why?" at all the appropriate times and nodding his head as if he completely understood Dada's responses.

Wherein every promise or bribe must be honored:

Did you mention to Cole that he could finish watching that tv show after dinner? If for some reason he forgets he will most certainly remember it the next day or some other random time later that week.

Did you promise a yogurt ice pop after dinner? If you forgot, you won't be let down because Cole will be there to remind you.

Did you mention that MAYBE we could stop at Barnes and Noble after shopping? You know where I'm going with this....

If you don't honor what you've promised, God help you.

First thing I'm doing tomorrow? Taking those damn lollipops to school and letting my students voluntarily rot their teeth with them, not my kid.

I'm sure there will be a meltdown of epic proportions simply because I gave him two lollipops this weekend against my better judgment, but that too shall pass. Just like the meltdowns when we switched the bottle caps to sippy caps. Just like the meltdown he had last night when I refused to give him a snack in the middle of dinner. I'm learning I can weather through them (knock on wood). Good thing too, because I'm sure Baby #2 will test me in new and unchartered ways.

1 comment:

  1. Haha - loved this post! Their memories at this age are ASTOUNDING! I also love how they remember the things we say and repeat them later. I was putting away some sucanat from the groceries this weekend and Kale asked what it was and I told him "hippie sugar." An hour later he asked if we could cook with the hippie sugar. It always sounds so much funnier coming from their mouths!

    ReplyDelete