Thursday, June 2, 2011

Recent happenings

I know, I know, you're all waiting for the birthday pictures, and lazy me hasn't posted them yet.  I'm sorry. I will. Soon. Very soon. I also have to post his first haircut pics. I've been promising THOSE to the monitors in lunch duty for the past 4 days. But it's just been a long week, and it's the end of the school year in a middle school with crazy hormonal teen-agers and pre-teens, so you can understand when I say: I'm totally exhausted.  Plus I have a whole new slew of mommy things to worry about. And that is what has prompted me to write this post.

1) Cole was bit by another baby yesterday at day care. Keith picked him up from work because I had to stay at work to grade. I had read WeeMason Mom's blog recently about this very thing happening to her son, so I knew this day was coming.

2) Cole bit another baby today at day care. I also knew that was going to come (although maybe not the very next day). 

3) The director couldn't tell us who bit him or who he bit, but she told Keith "They're both teething." Ya think?

4) Cole had his 12-month well baby visit today. I didn't go because I have next to no sick time left (we can thank day care for that as well! Do I sound bitter? Nooooo. I'm not bitter). The doctor heard a "clicking" in Cole's hip and told Keith it's probably nothing, but we should still get an x-ray. We have one scheduled for Monday. Of course, with that I went into full-worry mode. Hip Dysplasia is serious and at Cole's age, not easily treatable. Sometimes, babies can have multiple operations and the problem is not fixed.  (Thank you Google!) According to my father, I had this condition when I was a newborn. I had to wear a brace for 1-2 months. And it so happened that Keith called his mom on an unrelated matter and mentioned this new development to her. Carolyn - bless her heart- said that Keith had the same thing at Cole's age and it turned out to be nothing.
5) Cole pulled out a container of calcium pills Tuesday morning and it fell to the floor and spilled out. Fortunately, there were only about 10 inside. I thought I picked up all of them. You know what's coming next, don't you? Then I won't even say it. Needless to say, it was more than coincidental that the doctor, just this morning, gave Keith the phone number for the local poison control center.  For those of you wondering though, we learned that, thankfully, consumption of calcium pills only causes an upset stomach and diarrhea. 

6) Cole can reach lots of things on the dining room table. That includes place mats with heavy things on them. Can you say, "better baby-proofing?"

7) Cole is starting to climb. Everything. The best is when he tries to climb out of the tub. I think he's trying to tell us something.

8) Should there really be a number 8? I think all of the above is enough for one freaking week. All I know is, I now understand when people remember fondly when their children were babies. I never thought I'd want to go back, but the first year of life, while truly exhausting, was not as frightening as the second year has been. And it's only been six freaking days!!

Here's a sneak pic at the first haircut pics, which will be posted before the birthday pictures (I like to post things in chronological order because I'm weird like that)....

Cole got his haircut at Tress Olay, a salon owned by Keith's college friend who has been cutting Keith's hair since college and mine for the past 4-5 years or so. (She also did my hair for our wedding)


3 comments:

  1. Yeah, Zachy's first haircut pics are being held hostage by my camera because I took them without a memory card in and now can't get the actual camera to link up with the new-ish laptop.
    Welcome to Toddlerhood.
    I feel bad that I didn't warn you. But it is fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to see the birthday pics and the rest of the first haircut pics.

    Isn't it incredible how quickly the changes and new milestones are coming? I swear that the day Kale turned one he started doing 5 new things every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juni had minor hip dysplasia when she was born. There was the clicking on one of her hips. The doc caught it the day after she was born; as I recall. We were referred to an orthopedic doctor who checked her out at a one on one visit (and ordered an xray of Juni's pelvis). He suggested that we wait 3 months - come back and he would do another x-ray with her. He thought that it would be possible that over those months the hip would develop more and that it wouldn't be a problem. The other choice was to start her on the brace then and there. He said that it wouldn't have a negative impact on her if we just waited too. So, we opted to just come back in three months. Thankfully, over that time Juni's hips did develop more (and correctly) so no treatment was needed.

    Our doula suggestsed that Juni's body knew that she needed to have less developed hips in order to pass through the birth canal - being that she was almost 11 pounds.

    Hopefully, you'll have a similar situation with Cole - and that he won't need the brace.

    Hugs - allison

    ReplyDelete