Friday, June 24, 2011

Too fast

I hear this so often: "They grow up so fast."

And yes they do. But sometimes I think that we as parents help that along. Meaning, we're sometimes too busy thinking about what's coming up next that we forget about what's right in front of us. I know from my own experience I think a lot about the next milestone he's trying to achieve. My heart sometimes skips a beat as I think of the milestones that have given him more and more independence. That independence is exciting while also frightening.

During the past (almost 13 months) I remember eagerly anticipating the next big thing:

The transition from bed to co-sleeper to crib.
The consumption of rice cereal, then soft solids, then chunkier solids.
The transition from breast milk and formula to breast milk and cow milk.
Watching him learn to sit, crawl, stand, cruise, walk, and now run!
The changing of the car seats from infant to convertible.
The clothes - oh don't even get me started on infant sizing and differences among brands. But you know what it's like when your baby no longer fits in newborn or  0-3 months.

We eagerly looked forward to a lot of it. Sometimes we were afraid. Sometimes I didn't think it was necessary to rush. But most of the time I was excited. I think for at least the next few months we will stay on this plateau, where we don't have to think about the next big thing. (did someone say toddler room in September? Please don't remind me! ) Over the next 8 weeks, I am planning on just enjoying my son. Making him laugh, giggle and run with glee is such a thrill. I think last summer I didn't get to enjoy it as much because he was too busy crying when I was home alone with him. And if you've had a colicky baby you know that those moments of non-stop wailing can be heartbreaking for all - if not completely deafening. Thank goodness for the smiles he bestowed upon us during the day and sometimes at night. Can a baby truly be classified as colicky if they can also smile at 3 a.m.?
Anyway, now a year later, the tables are totally turned. He's a mostly happy boy, and it doesn't take much to make him smile. He's also friendly, curious, determined, loving, and maybe kind of stubborn. (But aren't all kids?)

Mama and her toddler in his new (gently used) swimsuit! 
Are you one of those parents who feels like you are sometimes rushing it even though you know you shouldn't?

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, I find that I get the most sucked into rushing it when I talk to other mom's. So many are eager to compare and it makes me start to think about Kale "should" be doing. I do my best to stay away from these conversations and not to worry about what's next. I actually find following attachment parenting has really helped with this. By responding to Kale's cues we are forced (in the best way possible) to live in the moment, rather than spending so much time trying to get him to the next milestone.

    I think you and Cole are going to have an amazing summer. I always think about what last summer was like too and am so glad things are different this year. I'm sure we'll have our own challenges with our stubborn toddlers, but I'll take that any day over a colicky newborn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this post. Although Tommy is still younger than Cole, it's going by very fast. He now has two teeth and he's crawling. He's also stating to pull himself up. I think he'll be an early walker.

    ReplyDelete