Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Duck Pond and Beyond: 9 Months Later

We last hiked to Duck Pond 9 months ago, on a nice hike with Peter and Peg. Cole was only 4 months old then, and I wore him in the Beco Gemini. This time, Keith wore a much heavier Cole in the Kelty Kids Adventure pack we bought on Craigslist for $40! You've seen this pack before, I just wanted to brag again about the great deal we got.  There really is no other better used marketplace than Craigslist.

So about this hike. We decided Saturday night that if we did some sort of exercise once each weekend, it would make up for the fact that we got little to no exercise during the week. We also decided that while we have hiked a large part of the Mohonk Preserve in the past 3 years, there are still many areas that we have not ventured into. So we decided to hike to Duck Pond, but then go further up the mountain and under the cliffs that hold Sky Top. This is what we did: 4.5 miles and a 468-foot ascent, while Keith held a 30 pound pack of shifting (and sometimes kicking) weight. I have so much respect for him because not once did he complain during the hike. I started to, but then I shut my mouth, because I was just holding his camera, and while that was kind of heavy, it was nothing compared to what he was holding. The pictures we took made this hike so worth it. Some are pretty funny. See for yourself...

The horse off the trail saying hello

Cole sees a horse for the first time in his life.

Daddy and baby on the trail in the deep woods

Mommy doing some heavy interference at Duck Pond

Cole discovers the hiking pole

Keith discovers that he can actually use the walking pole as a stand-in "leash" because
once Cole discovers something interesting he does not want to let it go.

Stubborn Cole refuses to let go

Daddy's little apprentice

Trail magic
This is the picture Keith was squatting  down to get.

Mama on the trail during the ascent
Helping to create that "trail magic"


Keith proves that you can do a diaper change just about ANYWHERE

3 comments:

  1. I'm suddenly understanding why you two are thin. And I'm inspired, though we don't have any trails or cliffs or mountains to climb here. There''s a hill here next to my house--would people think I'm crazy if I got a bunch of cool hiking gear and walked up and down it? Ha!

    The pics are awesome! As always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great pictures! I laughed when I saw the ones of Cole grabbing the hiking stick because Kale does this too! Once he grabs onto something he refuses to let go!!!
    Other favourites: Cole conked out in the pack, nursing on the trail, and the impromptu diaper change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like we went through three different hats during that hike.

    ReplyDelete