Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Milk Situation

You may be wondering if I'm still pumping, if Cole has had cow milk, etc. Well you've come to the right blog post because I can fill you in on all of that and more.
Here's a little Q&A I created between myself and a devoted reader:

Blog reader: So what's the deal? Are you still pumping?
Mama: Yep.

Blog reader: Really? I thought you said you were going to stop when Cole turned 1? What happened?
Mama: You are correct, and thank you for following my blog so intently that you remember that detail. I did say that. But after meeting with the lactation fairy godmother, I realized it would be a painful break-up if I just dumped my pump. So I've decided to make this a long and drawn out break up, and at the end of it all I plan on sending my pump back to Medela since it's been recalled and hope they fix it or send me a new one. But sssshhh don't tell her yet.

Blog reader: Why put your pump through such misery?
Mama: I'm actually being very humane, both to my boob and to the pump. If I stopped abruptly I'd end up with a clogged duct, because that's how the boob rolls. And the pump would feel lonely and useless. I can't have that.

Blog reader: So when WILL you stop pumping?
Mama: Each week I've been decreasing the amount of time I spend pumping. I also only pump once a day. This week I've been pumping for 10 minutes. I get 2 oz. Next week I'll be down to five minutes. Theoretically, I could stop next week but because we're trying to transition him to cow milk, we will need the expressed breast milk to help him get used to cow milk.

Blog reader: So then, you're feeding him cow milk now? How's that going?
Mama: Well after the first serving of cow milk (from Ronnybrook Farm), he handed it back to us and said "seriously?" So then we tried goat milk (not local and from somewhere in Vermont) and  that was more his speed. But then the expensive goat milk went bad several days later. So we tried cow milk again, only this time from a different farm. It's called Hudson Valley Fresh, a farm that Keith has personally toured and photographed for work. We decided to blend the cow milk with breast milk or formula and he seems to dig it. I think that's a good way of transitioning him and getting him used to it. So far, so good.

Blog reader: So I assume then that if you're pumping, you're still nursing too?
Mama: Yes, indeedy. Cole does not show any signs of wanting to stop nursing. So I'm just going to nurse as long as I can. I am a little worried about not having enough milk for him during the summer days, but I think that will help me continue him on the path of drinking cow milk during the day.

2 comments:

  1. I was totally wondering about this and was planning to email you this weekend! I think doing cow's milk mixed with breast milk is a good transition. I've stopped pumping at work, which is pretty liberating. I'm still coming home at lunch to nurse though, which I'm growing tired of. It would be nice to stick around at work for lunch now and then and socialize, but I'm worried about decreasing my supply (which I already expect is really low). Anyway - I'm glad you've figured out something that works for you and Cole :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the transition is going pretty smoothly. Only thing is that he's got a TON of gas, most likely from the milk. Our doctor said it's normal as his digestive system gets used to it.

    ReplyDelete