Monday, June 27, 2011

Let the summer begin...

So I once heard a teacher's summer being compared to a weekend, and every summer this simile rings so true for me. June is like a Friday, when you are anticipating the weekend and very excited about the upcoming summer vacation (or weekend). July is like a Saturday where you are just relaxing worry free. And, finally, August, is like a Sunday, when you start to think about September (or Monday, if you will) and maybe even dread it a little. I know that for some of my readers who don't have regular weekends like I do, this comparison doesn't work, but you know what I mean. Right now, it's like Happy Hour on a Friday afternoon. It's the first time in like five years where we've had a week left of June after school ended.

This weekend was my first weekend with no worries. Friday was a crazy day, spent running around the school getting all of my required signatures to close out and be set free for the summer. I also had to pack up my classroom because next year I will be a traveling teacher, and I have requested for next school year that i be placed in a classroom that has more technology. That was 3 years of packing up I had to do, but luckily, I keep most of my stuff in my home office, so it wasn't that terrible. I did have to pack up my entire classroom library, and that was a pain, because now we have to store in our garage - all 350 books for the summer! But I don't want them stolen so this is what I must do.

So this week, Cole is in day care for 3 of the 5 days, and I am going to clean out my home office. If you remember, I was on bed rest when Keith and Carolyn moved my office into Keith's. And then I had the baby, and then I just never had the time or energy to clean out the office. Not once in the past 10 months either. So this week is it. I'm going to clean house and minimize my supplies and furniture so that I can actually utilize it to its fullest potential next school year. I am also going to make my blog book a reality and a whole host of other things I have planned for 2.5 days. (I say 2.5 because I have two appointments scheduled for half of Thursday.) Here's hoping I can stay off Facebook and Blogger long enough to get everything done!

3 comments: