Thursday, February 17, 2011

The return of the nursing pillow

So I hope I don't jinx myself with this post, but I think I may have figured out the cause of my milk blisters. I think it was Cole's latch. As soon as he was old enough I wanted to stop using the nursing pillows. I felt like they prohibited me from nursing anywhere anytime, and I wanted that freedom.
I started to just use my arms, holding him in a cradle position or holding him while he sat up halfway nursing. However, I think doing that has caused him to have a bad latch. He is not "high and tight" like they encouraged me to keep him in those early breastfeeding support groups at Kingston Hospital. He is low and loose and therefore, pulling at my nipples and probably causing unwanted friction. It dawned on me about a week ago that this might be the case after I did some serious soul searching trying to figure out when this started and what I started doing differently around that time. Losing the nursing pillow (figuratively not literally) was the only cause I could find.

As a result of this discovery, I use the Baby Balboa nursing pillow to push him up close to me and keep him there. He doesn't always love it, but it's better than wearing a nipple shield. It really is the perfect pillow for later infancy. I'm glad I bought it. The other thing I have been doing to prevent the milk blister from returning is taking more of the soy lecithin. I take two pills twice a day. Let's hope after the past few days I've had with this ear infection that the milk blister does not come back with a vengeance just to show me who's boss.

2 comments: