Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A babywearing snow day

This photo - of a church message board in Poughkeepsie I pass every day on my way home from work - was in the New York Times today. The church always posts some really  clever things. It's always been in my head to write a post about it.

So today is our second snow day of the week and yesterday was the last free day. Today was taken from the Friday before Memorial Day. I am sad about this. Not because I wanted a day off in May, but because that day is Cole's first birthday. I was looking forward to being with him on his first birthday, not being stuck at work while he spends the day with someone else.

For that reason, I am trying to enjoy today with my son. However, like I mentioned yesterday, the baby is teething, big time and he's probably a little bored from being cooped up inside for two days, so the morning was a challenge, to say the least. Around noon, I got the brilliant idea to put Cole on my back in the Beco Butterfly II and bake cookies. It was amazing his reaction when I took the Butterfly out. He became ecstatic at the idea of being worn (this is the first time we've ever gotten THAT reaction) and Keith helped me put him on my back. I made cookies for Keith and then made lunch and Cole was content to follow my movements and watch from behind the fun process of baking. I also played the new CD Lori sent me called Global Lullabies and danced a bit since I've discovered that he loves when I dance and wear him at the same time. (We found a cable music channel that plays old school hip hop and Cole and I had a great time yesterday dancing to "Bust a Move").

This is of Cole last week taking books off of the end table.

Cole's first experience with eating broccoli, taken this past weekend.

Cole and I dancing to "Bust a Move" yesterday afternoon.

Who spotted a cat?

Just after we finished baking cookies together.

It's not easy digging the snow out after the snow plow comes through. 
From the kitchen window, Cole and I watched Keith do the dirty work. 


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day-albeit the teething. I dance with Tommy alot while he's in the Moby. Happy first birthday to Cole three months early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! Working on his first birthday??? That's horrible!

    And the cookies--we had the same idea yesterday, though mine involved the hard task of putting the precut squares of dough on a cookie sheet!

    Poor Keith.

    And the hip hop! Ha! Zach is partial to Sir Mix-a-lot.

    And I am honored to be your first internet friend. And I cannot believe our boys will be a year old in a few short months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sign is hilarious. I love when I see things like that.
    Kris put Kale in the Beco (same as yours!) on his back this morning for the first time. He put up with it for awhile and then wanted to be put down so he could "explore" (more like terrorize the cat and make a mess). I'm going to tell Kris he needs to try to 'bust a move.'

    ReplyDelete