Monday, February 21, 2011

Not loving the solids

So, something weird has happened over the past week and I'm not exactly sure of the cause. Cole has started to spit out his solid food.

Here are two possible causes I am considering:
a) He got used to nursing more when he was sick
b) Another tooth (called the Lateral Incisor) has come in next to the one Central Incisor that recently came in.
c) He inherited my finicky ways

I think it's maybe a combination of a and b, but who the hell knows. All I know is Cole wants to nurse more and eat less solids. It's very much hit and miss these past few days. We tried feeding him solid food three times Sunday. They were all food we made and food that he's eaten gleefully before. He didn't want anything to do with any of them. What he does is push the food out with his teeth as he makes his scrunched up "unhappy" face. Have you seen that face yet? I MUST post a picture (see below). It's too damn cute. So back to the story. He made the face and after a few tries with this, he was all  "Waah Waah Waah" -or roughly translated: "boob, boob, boob." And I was all "Try what's on the spoon first!" But no.  Eventually he just turned his head and thrashed his legs. He wasn't feeling it. However, the night before last, I fed him potatoes and he gobbled it right up. And the potatoes were lumpier than anything we've given him in a while. So, like I said before, who the hell knows?

Who can make the better scrunched up face,
Mommy or Cole?
But if YOU know or have any idea what I could do to help him be on better speaking terms with his solid food, I'd so appreciate it.




Cole gives Daddy the scrunched up face.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! The face is adorable!!
    I wouldn't stress about the amount of solids he's eating. There are lots of different things that can make them not want to eat sometimes. I would be willing to put money on the fact that he's teething and getting over being sick. My advice would be to just keep offering him solids and let me take the lead. As long as he's still nursing lots there is really nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Randalin. I know this in my heart of hearts, but I am soooo impatient! I just want to get back to "normal." But with a baby, I think normal is a constantly changing thing. I just have to accept the new "normal" and keep offering him the solids- like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zach is on a solids strike right now as we speak--Zach!?! Not eat?!? Pfffft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is with these boys??? Maybe it's just what happens at this age. He ate broccoli tonight. Well, let me rephrase that - he ate about one third of it, played with another third and spit out another third. But he giggled and smiled and that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete