Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Milk blisters- fun times

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I've been getting clogged ducts and milk blisters more and more since that first one in the late fall. They were coming every other week and now they're striking every single week. I was so fed up with the last one (over our weekend away) that I called the LC at the birth center. She said they can do ultrasound therapy for recurrent clogged ducts. Yay. Sounds like fun.
So after a depressing pumping session today, wherein, instead of pumping 6 ounces, I was only able to pump 3 ounces, I realized I had yet ANOTHER clogged duct. I knew it was time to call in some reinforcements in "The Battle for the Boob." (I don't want to say I'm battling with the boob, because that would not be good to be battling with my own body part. So I will say, I am battling with whatever is causing the clogged duct for control of the boob.)

What does a clogged duct feel like you ask? Well internally, when it's touched, it feels like a bruise. Externally, it feels like the entire underside of my boob is completely hardened, and my breast looks warped and wrinkly. Now, what will surely follow is the milk blister from hell, wherein a white blister appears on my nipple and every time Cole nurses on it, it will feel like he's latching on for the first time. Ouch doesn't cut it. And then if I'm lucky enough his Hoove- like sucking will open the blister and then consequently, the duct. If I'm not so lucky, either Keith or I might have to edge off the blister with our fingernails. Can you say Oweeee! And if THAT doesn't work I can sterilize a needle and puncture a hole in it. Oh the joy. This is why I called immediately for the ultrasound therapy. If this can possibly fix the clogged duct and prevent future clogged ducts I'd be more than happy. I'd be forever in the debt of the physical therapy people at Northern Dutchess Health Annex.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 8 a.m. for the ultrasound therapy. I have to bring Cole. This means I have to take a half a day off. Not thrilled about this considering I'm trying (trying being the key word) to conserve my sick days in case Cole comes down with some crazy virus that requires he be out of day care for a while. (By crazy virus, I am actually thinking of the Coxsackie Virus, which has reared its ugly head twice in the infant room of Cole's day care.) The other reason I'm not thrilled about this is because the last time I called in sick, two students in my first period class stacked all of the textbooks onto a desk in the center of the room and kicked the pile over, toppling all of the books and making it sound to the teachers next door as if they were throwing furniture. Needless to say, the substitute was totally oblivious and did not tell me about it; I had to find out from the other students. Fortunately, cleverness on my part helped me to nab the guilty and write them up. They have been forewarned, so let's hope they behave themselves tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, poor mama. Seriously - you are such a trooper to still be breastfeeding. So many women would have given up by now. Cole is one lucky little man to have a committed mama like you. I hope the ultrasound therapy gives you some relief. ***HUGS***

    ReplyDelete