Monday, January 24, 2011

Babywearing Chapter 27: The return of the Beco Butterfly II

Recently, in my effort to de-clutter, I've been revisiting baby carriers that we haven't used since Cole was a newbie. First, I tried the Wrapsody Bali Breeze wrap. I finally came to the conclusion that Keith realized long ago - this wrap is too damn long and I need to either return it or sell it. I contacted the company and they were of no help whatsoever, offering to give me a 5% discount on a purchase of a $55 used wrap. No effing thank you. I spent $70 on a new wrap that I barely use, do you really think I'm going to spend $55 on a USED wrap?! You are out of your mind. They also suggested shortening the wrap myself and sewing it. Yeah, like I have the time to do THAT. I'll be selling that wrap on eBay, thank you very much.

But back to the reason for this post - the Beco Butterfly II. Cole had a love/hate relationship with this carrier when we used it during the first few months of his life. We went on hikes with it, I wore him in it around the house, we used it at Beth and John's wedding. He slept in it, but always complained and fussed until he fell asleep. But those were the days when he was tiny and couldn't see out of it (note - the Beco Butterfly II is NOT a front facing carrier, which is why I stopped using it.) But now that Cole is bigger and can sit in it facing me while looking around at the world, he's much happier in it. And in some ways, it's more comfortable than the Gemini and lighter (the Gemini is bulkier because the baby can sit in it front facing). So we've been using the Butterfly with much success for the past week-and-a-half. And I'm thankful for the de-cluttering book for reminding me of the things I keep but rarely use.

3 comments:

  1. We have the Beco in the same pattern!!
    I've always wanted to try a wrap, but am wondering if Kale is too big now. I used to love wearing him around the house and when we went grocery shopping, but now he prefers to be exploring and riding in the cart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a wrap is still possible at this age/weight, but it's probably better for your back to use the Beco. I think the soft structured carriers are just generally better for your back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we too have carriers that we aren't using anymore: the maya sling and the Mai Tai. I still make use of the Ergo... and Juni enjoys it too I am pretty sure. I would use the sling if I could figure out how to properly to the hip carry, but so far I just cannot seem to get it right. I am figuring that we'll hold onto the other carriers as a just-in-case we have another baby.

    ReplyDelete