Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Damn good weekend

Despite the fact that cole ended the weekend with a stomach virus, this weekend was a damn good one.
First of all,  Friday was an amazing day. It was such a treat to stay home with Cole, watch the snow fall, and know that I had a whole weekend ahead of us for some time with Keith and time to myself (more on that later). The only thing that would've made Friday better was if Keith had been able to stay home as well. On Friday I discovered that Cole loves apples. Apple slices and apple sauce. That's his weakness and it was one of the few times where he's eaten something without me having to fight for control of the spoon.
We played a lot in the living room and his nursery. He had some good naps and I showed him what falling snow feels like on your face. Since he was not too keen on the white stuff falling in his eyes we walked around the backyard under an umbrella. Back in the house I realized how much my son is trying to learn how to walk. Several times he tried to get from one object to another ( while standing ) without my help. When he realized he needed my help he'd reachfor my hand. When I offered both hands he'd sometimes only take one or if he took both, release one so he could move more on his own. It was wonderful to watch this self initiated practice take place.

As our day drew to a close I became very tired. So when his nap ended prematurely I brougt him into bed with me and we slept until Keith got home. Luckily for Keith we have some amazing neighbors, one of whom already plowed our driveway! It meant Keith got to spend quality time with Cole while I made dinner.

On Saturday, after Keith got back from snowboarding and after Cole and I enjoyed a visit from above mentioned neighbors, grandma Carolyn came over and Keith and I headed out for our date! We ate the most delicious meal at 36 Main, a restaurant and wine bar in new Paltz and then had a nightcap at northern spy, where we sawJohn Leguizamo and his family (he lives around here).

Then on Sunday I finally had an afternoon to myself. First I went to yoga at MAMA and then to Panera for lunch and b&n for desert and grading. I looked at a few interesting books, one of which I might get on audio (House Rules by Jodi Picoult) while I sat in the cafe.
About an hour after I got home I noticed Cole was warmer than usual and discovered that he was indeed running a slight fever. We don't do the rectal thermometer around here and have to rely on the armpit readings where you add a degree. By 10:30 that night he puked all over Keith and was feeling so crappy from the fever that we kept him in the bed with us. In fact, we harkened back to the olden days when Keith used to put Cole on his chest and "neck nurse" him, as Dr. Sears would say. He slept on Keith like that for most of the night. He's doing better now and probably got hit by a 24- hour bug. By last night he was in good spirits. It helped that both Keith and I stayed home to take care of him (having so little sleep the night before). 
Here's Cole with his apple slice.


Cole after his apple sauce- lovin' life!

The picture Keith sent to me while I was at B & N.

Cole dining, literally, on Kiwi.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds like an amazing weekend. I couldn't help but to giggle out loud picturing you and Cole wandering your backyard with an umbrella in the snow! I hope Cole is feeling better soon. Tell him to slow down with the trying to walk - he's growing up too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is! If only his sleep would catch up with his growth!

    ReplyDelete