Tuesday, October 2, 2012

On his way

Tonight Cole was playing in the living room while I attempted to rinse some quinoa in hopes of making it for lunch tomorrow. He waddles into the kitchen with a tired look on his face and says, "It's time for bed, Mama."

Mouth drops to floor. Quinoa gets left in strainer. Mama scoops Cole up and we head straight for the bath. We were on a roll and making great time. After the bath, Cole runs naked into the hallway, stops, and grabs his penis. This is the classic signal that he has to pee. I've seen this before. The last time he did this, I let him pee on a towel because I didn't think I'd get him in there in time (that time he had trickled a little). But this time? I was ready. I scoop him up and bring him straight to the potty. He sits there. I run the water and explain to him that the sound of the water might help him pee. What does he do instead? He proceeds to poop in the toilet for the next 25 minutes. Why so long? Well, Cole can't just poop on the potty. He has to poop, get up, walk down the stool, look at his poop, then flush. Repeat 700 times. Very ceremonious stuff, this saying good-bye to poop business.

Finally, finally, he was done. But no pee. Not once. Like usual, my kid doesn't follow some textbook example of a toddler (where they pee first then learn to poop). And I'm okay with that. I know he'll get there eventually. He's already on his way.




1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I can so picture this! Kale loves to check out his poop too. I'm not going to lie - sometimes I look too (Don't judge! You can tell a lot about how someone is feeling from their poop!).

    Kale also started pooping on the toilet before peeing and has only had a handful of poop accidents since he's been toilet trained. I think they can sense they have to poop easier than pee.

    Ok - enough poop talk. Yay for pooping on the toilet!!

    ReplyDelete