Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Uterus, you are not cooperating

You may remember my recent letter to my uterus and my appeal to her about not regularly contracting. Well, she seems to have a mind of her own.

For those of you who may not remember or just don't know, my first pregnancy was anything but normal. I was on bed rest for half of it due to regular contractions. Today those contractions came back full force. Keith and I wound up going to the doctor because they hurt so much. We discovered some disheartening news: they were 3-4 minutes apart. Scary, but not surprising. It was at this exact time in my pregnancy with Cole that I was put on bed rest because of regular contractions. But the doctors then didn't have the knowledge they have now: that I went to term and beyond with that pregnancy. That simple fact is my saving grace.

The good news (yes there is good news!) is that my cervix is still very long so they do not see this as preterm labor, only preterm contractions. And they do not see a need for bed rest (PHEW!) right now. Two doses of nifedipine seemed to help calm my contractions down. So I will continue taking that medication (which is what I took while pregnant with Cole) plus a weekly progesterone shot administered at the doctor's office, which means a weekly hour long trip to the doctor's office from my job. But if it means I can continue to work and not have to use all of my sick time before this little lovey comes to town, then so be it.
Hooked up to the contraction monitor at the birth center
Multiple contractions at the doctor's office

1 comment: