Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My pregnant meal plan

My metabolism is quite high. It's taken being pregnant to realize this fact.

Here's my average daily meal plan:

Wake up, drink some tea and eat some cereal. If I have some patience, try to fend off Cole's demands for an ice pop or if I have next to none- give him an ice pop (which are homemade by the way).

Then make breakfast for reals: either a big bowl of oatmeal or bacon, eggs, and toast. Watch Cole eat one spoonful of the oatmeal and then run off. Or watch him only eat the bacon and drop the eggs all over the floor.

Get hungry again and snack (maybe a muffin or a bagel) about an hour later. Cole insists he must have said snack, but when I offer it to him, he says he doesn't like it, throws it on the floor and demands more. WHAT? I try to give him fruit or cereal at this point, anything that will actually make it down his throat. He demands an ice pop but settles for the cereal.

Eat lunch around 11:30 or 12 because by then, I'm starving again, and Cole is ready to have a meltdown because he's refused to eat any of my snacks or most of the snacks I've offered him. Apparently, he's under the impression he can live solely on ice pops.

About my lunch...I love cold cuts and I absolutely hated the fact that I had to stop eating them when I got pregnant. This screwed me up royally the last 1.5 months of school because what did I eat every.single.day for lunch? I made a turkey, hummus, and goat cheese sandwich with either lettuce, cucumber or spinach. But because of the potential for eating cold cuts laden with bacteria that could cause a miscarriage, I stopped eating cold cuts cold turkey (no pun intended!).

Now that I'm in my second trimester, I'm a little less worried about it. So recently, I bought some packaged cold cuts, with the idea that they probably came from a clean deli slicer. We've been eating those sandwiches this week. Sometimes though, I'll eat hot dogs, or a hummus, goat cheese, and cucumber sandwich. Or whatever is in the pantry and fills me up.

Surprise, surprise, by 2 p.m. I'm hungry again. Snack time. Maybe some pretzels or pretzel rolls, or crackers and hummus. This is also when I have a little bit more caffeine to get me through the rest of the afternoon. Cole is also eating a snack about this time if he's not napping (which he usually isn't) and he's mostly agreeable to what I'm eating, especially if it involves crackers and hummus.

But snack time is not over. I get hungry again just a few hours later. So I'll have another snack around 4 p.m. This might involve some fruit.

Then we'll eat dinner between 5 and 6:30. Dinner almost always involves meat or poultry, a veggie, and a starch. We've gone the vegan and vegetarian route (sans the tofu, since I'm allergic), but honestly, we're almost always raiding the cabinets an hour later. We look at each other, and I say, "We should have made chicken."

Then after I put Cole to sleep I get hungry again, so I have another snack before bed, hoping that will tide me over until the morning.

No such luck.

Because here's the problem folks - I keep waking up in the middle of the night famished. It's as if I didn't eat three meals and snack all freaking day! Anywhere from 12 to 4 a.m. I wake up because I have to pee, I'm hot, the cats have jumped on me or they are smothering my body by both sleeping against me at the same time. I try to go back to sleep after I've peed or made some adjustments, but invariably, my stomach speaks to me and tells me she's too empty to rest. I must eat something or else she will keep me awake forever.

Honestly? I think this is going to be a big baby. I don't think I ate this much when I was pregnant with Cole. 

And my other worry? How am I going to snack like this when I return to work? The only solution is that I'm going to have to pack well my elaborate meal plan for the 10 hours I am away from home each work day. There will be no room for last minute preparations in the morning. Because my dear reader, I am one cranky woman when I've skipped any part of my meal plan.

2 comments:

  1. Have you told your boss that your pregnant yet? I think I ate the same way with Tommy. It's exhausting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I see my supervisor next it will be pretty obvious. But, I did mention the possibility to her way back in May when we were discussing my transfer, so it won't be a surprise.

      Delete