Friday, August 24, 2012

Dear Uterus - Friday's Letter

Dear Uterus,

I love you like my babies. You are after all, the key to helping grow my babies. But when I was pregnant with Cole, you and I weren't on the best of terms for a while there. I'm not going to blame you per se, but the doctors did say that it was your constant contractions that put me on strict bed rest for three months.  This second time around though? I want us to be on the same team. The team that doesn't put my daughter at risk of being born too early. The team that lets me have a NORMAL pregnancy, one where I can continue working until at least the end of December. A normal pregnancy where I can show off my belly to every admiring passer by and actually wear all of the maternity clothes that have been handed down to me from my generous friends.

Please, do me this one solid and don't get all irritable on me until January, okay? Honestly, I feel little twinges here and there, and I'm not really sure if it's you getting on my case about one thing or another, or if it's just really bad gas. You don't have to answer that though because I don't really want to know. You can still change gears and settle down. I do seem to suffer from really bad gas lately, mostly because I eat anything and everything I can get my hands on. That includes foods I really shouldn't eat, so it's probably gas.

Here's the thing - I know with my crazy schedule that starts in September that things may be a little hairy at first - what with me pushing a cart full of textbooks around and stuff. And I might get stuck with lunch duty and teaching for five periods in a row. I know that's 3.5 hours of potential for standing the entire time. But listen to me when I tell you, I will not kill myself. I've already stuck up for you with regards to the lunch duty. And I will happily provide the powers that be with a doctor's note if need be, even if it pisses off all of my new co-workers. Yes, I am willing to do that for you.

I also promise to not run around my 3 classrooms like a madwoman, and take it easy while teaching. Maybe I'll even move the desk to the center of each room just to freak the kids out and keep them on their toes. On second thought, maybe I'll give a student extra credit to do that for me. Whatever happens though, September will settle down into October, and I will get the hang of it and treat you well. I know you've heard this before, but I will try meditating. If it means keeping you calm, then I'll do whatever it takes. I just don't want to do bed rest - and that means NO form of it whatsoever. So, please, hear me when I plead specifically to not go all crazy and regularly contract on me until January.

Don't forget - I got your back in 2010 - when I used your power to push Cole out. That natural birth saved you from being numbed up or cut up. That's okay - you can thank me in January when I do the same thing again. All it takes is your cooperation. That alone will keep me strong and relaxed.


Yours Truly,

The Mama

1 comment:

  1. Haha - this is such a great letter. "Don't forget - I got your back in 2010" - this made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete