Friday, June 11, 2010

Two weeks young

Last night, Cole turned two weeks young. I can't even use the words "old" and "Cole" in the same sentence. He's a newborn for crying out loud. He's so young, he still has wrinkles from the womb. To honor the occasion of his two-week old birthday, he wailed inexplicably when he woke up shortly before midnight and again at 5 a.m. Both times were after his feedings. This wailing, which was once reserved only for diaper changes, can really rattle even the most loving, determined parent. In order to calm the wailing down to at least a whimper, we purchased a Fisher Price Cradle n Swing. We knew from experience that swinging Cole calms him down. However, our arms and backs can only do so much for so long. We were forced to purchase this mechanical aid for peace of mind. And it does truly work.  However, when we put him in it, I feel terrible because my baby is in this contraption for comfort that I just can't always give him. I want to, desperately, but sometimes, it's not possible to calm him down - at least not for very long.

When Cole is awake and alert, however, he is amazing to look at and talk to. He watches me and seems to react on a small level to what I say to him. I feel blessed to have that time with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment