Monday, June 21, 2010

That "liquid gold"

So I may not be able to see how much milk Cole is getting while he nurses but judging by his significant weight gain, I know he is getting enough. Cole weighs 8 lbs and 10 oz. I think he's been gaining a half a pound a week, give or take an ounce or two.  I've been going to a breastfeeding support group (aka mommy group) at Kingston Hospital and each time I've gone there the nurse who runs it weighs him. He just keeps growing. And it thrills me to death to know that it's my milk that is helping him to grow. My body helped him grow into a human being and now it is helping him grow as a human being. Today and yesterday he's also been going through a growth spurt because he's been feeding what feels like non-stop - sometimes every hour or hour and a half. It can get exhausting but I know it's not going to last longer than another day or so.

Today my doula also came over to show me how to pump. I've been too frazzled to try to figure it out myself so when she offered I jumped at the chance. I easily and quickly pumped out almost 2 oz of milk and for the first time was able to see what it probably looks like inside Cole's mouth. Pumping is a strange sensation, and it's equally strange to watch your nipples move up and down from mechanical suctioning.

Last week I also officially requested a "private location" with an electric outlet to pump during school hours. Because I'll be working between two buildings I had to make the request of two principals. I also had to make it clear that I need to do it more than once (the HR person mistakenly thought I would only need to pump once) and at separate times of the day. I hope they don't shove me in some closet somewhere, because, to be honest, both schools are so overcrowded, I'm not sure how they're going to find an empty private room for me to use.

My doula shared with me a story about a woman who she knows who commutes to work and because she hates to waste time, pumps on her way to work. Yes, that's right, she pumps while driving. I briefly considered this because I have an almost hour long commute to work each morning. However, you are supposed to be relaxed while pumping and I am rarely relaxed while driving. Not to mention the hazard I would become on the road if I had something suctioning at my breasts while I'm trying to merge onto the bridge. It just doesn't seem like the smartest thing in the world to do.

So end result of today: a satisfied baby who ate and slept most of the day away and a bottle of "liquid gold" in our fridge. When Cole turns 4 weeks this week (yes he's going to be a month old - can you believe it??!!) his daddy will feed him for the very first time.

1 comment:

  1. Pump and drive? Seriously? And we villify cell phones while driving! Wow!

    ReplyDelete