Friday, June 18, 2010

Colicky Cole

It could be worse. He could have something really wrong with him. At least this is something that he will outgrow.

The crying started about a week and a half into his little life, and it just seemed to be getting worse, day by day and night by night. Finally, hoping for a miracle cure we took him to his doctor who told us that, unfortunately, there was nothing we could do but grin and bear it. Dance the dance. Whisper sweet nothings into his ear. It was there - the undeniable fact that Cole has colic. I have to admit, that I cried  when I heard this news. I was hoping for a prescription that would make his pain (as well as the cries) simply disappear. But that was not in the cards for us. This is definitely a true test of our parenting skills - we have to maintain sanity, patience and love while functioning on very little sleep most of the time. Some days are better than others and some nights are far worse than others. Luckily, Keith and I haven't done more than snap at each other during those stress laden nights when there seems to be no end to the screaming or the wailing. I remember first hearing his cry the night he was born and commenting on how cute it was. Now, it hurts both Keith and I to hear it, especially when we know he's in pain from all of the gas he has stored in his little tummy.

Slowly but surely we're learning what to do to calm him down and how to pass him off if what we are trying is just not working. However, Sunday night will mark the first night that Keith will not be able to help me throughout the night because he returns to work on Monday. It has been wonderful having him right there beside me these past five weeks - especially the past three.  (Yes! Cole is now 3 weeks old!). I will miss spending time with him during the week days.

One of the rewards of all of this is that Cole is starting to "coo."  I love when he does this. I feel so honored to be cooed at. He is also smiling, and he's more alert -  he tries to hold his head up and look around. Sometimes if we've got him against our chest in a sort of neck nestle he does what appear to be push-ups. We've also been able to read him a little bit better each day so that we can figure out what ails him.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that he has colic. I wish there was something to make it better. Hang in there, it will go away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This too shall pass. Like contractions and the pain of childbirth, it will be gone before you know it. Evan had colic--BAD. John was working nights when Ev would scream and it tested every ounce of patience, sanity, resolve..I had.
    My best advice,though you didn't ask (because what are we seasoned moms good for if not unsolicited advice) is to be as good to yourself as you are to Cole. Take breaks to pamper yourself, too. Hearing the cries rips your heart out, so try to periodically remove yourself when you have had too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea- yes you are so right about removing myself. I have to learn to do that more. Keith offers and sometimes I feel like a bad mommy if I don't try harder to make it stop. I think now that he has gone back to work, I will not let that bother me and take advantage of the reprieve when it is available.

    ReplyDelete