Sunday, June 20, 2010

His first Father's Day

This is the first father's day in a long time that I didn't spend with my dad. ( It wasn't on purpose, it just worked out that way.) Today I spent it with my husband - who is now a father. And he's not just any father. He's a great father. When he's fathering our son, he's patient, loving, thoughtful, and funny. He's always willing to try new things and always willing to share the work of parenting. Tomorrow he goes back to work and I will surely miss him.  I will, however, treasure the past 5 weeks we've spent together and with our new baby.

I feel so blessed to have begun the journey of parenthood with such a good man. Our baby may be colicky, but he's healthy and he's here. Finally here. I am happy and thankful for that. And I have to remember that when he is in the throes of a giant fit that could simultaneously break my heart and glass.

The two pictures I have posted here are two wonderful ways Keith interacts with Cole. When Cole is hysterical crying Keith often "neck nurses" him.  That is the above picture.  This is a term Dr. Sears uses but it's something Keith just discovered on his own. Cole usually falls asleep when Keith does this. The picture to the right is when Keith plays with Cole to either calm him down or keep him entertained. Keith will repeatedly touch his nose to Cole's and say "Bink!" and Cole will watch Keith, wide eyed. It is so precious to watch this father and son interaction.

Happy Father's Day honey! I love you.

1 comment:

  1. The photos of Cole and Keith are precious. What a special day for Keith. He is a father at last!

    Happy Daddy's Day, Keith!

    Love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete