Saturday, June 26, 2010

4 week stats

Here's what we learned at Cole's 4 week check-up:

He's now 9 pounds 6 ounces, 21.5 inches long and his head is 14 inches in diameter. (Here's the link to his original birth weight and height for comparison's sake). He even did a push up for the doctor on the examining table to show off his pecks!

Next monthly check-up: immunizations. Eeeww - not looking forward to watching a needle cause my son pain. Planning on doing research on the vaccinations just so I know what he's getting. I'm not going to avoid the immunizations (I know they are necessary) but I may ask the doctor to space them out. Three vaccinations in one is a lot. I also hate that the autism/mercury link is still being debated. Can't they just decide already, so I'm not a nervous wreck? Also, can anyone recommend a good book to learn about the different vaccinations? I've already ordered two from the library, but I could always use more suggestions. Not sure of the authors' biases or agenda until I've actually seen the books.

In other news, we've discovered that Cole loves looking at pictures of us. I read in Prenatal Parenting that the baby should look at pictures of you and other loved ones so he can get to know faces. Anyway, I put two pictures in his car seat, two in his crib and one by his changing table. Then at Johanna's recommendation, I drew some shapes on different pieces of paper so he could look at those while on the changing table, in the crib or being fed at my breastfeeding station. (Hoping that will calm down his screaming during diaper changes. So far he hasn't looked that way yet. Too busy looking at me or closing his eyes to scream bloody murder.)  But when he's not on the diaper changing table, he really is much more alert, looking at things and people for longer periods of time. It's amazing to watch him grow! He's also starting, slowly, but surely, to outgrow his newborn clothes.  Those of you who haven't seen him yet, you've gotta come visit or else you're going to miss his teeny weeny stage! Alright, you can just check back here for pictures, but it's never the same. He's simply adorable in person.


1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how time flies?! I cannot believe those long legs! I wanted to respond the the autism-vaccination "controversy" because there is no controversy- it is 100% completely false and the doctor who started that panic (which was based on a super small sample and self reports of symptoms- i.e., not scientific, reliable, or ethical for research) has had his medical license revoked FOR LIFE. Themosil (the preservative in the vacs that was being debated)is not used in common vaccines anymore since they have found ways to develop them without it. For the ones (few) that do contain it, you can specifically request one without it. I went through the same hesitance, but really, they are safe (and the kids are safer with them than not). You can ask to nurse him while he gets the shot (it will probably in the thigh)- I did and it was helpful.

    ReplyDelete