Friday, June 22, 2012

Toothbrushing, Potty Training, Not Breastfeeding and other Misadventures in Parenting

Our toothbrushing triumph:

Cole may not love to brush his teeth, but he absolutely loves when I floss his teeth (which is even better than brushing in my opinion). Why? Because the floss is mint flavored and because I show him his food and say what exactly the food is that I've just flossed out from in between his teeth. Sometimes he'll take a guess (usually the food I identified the day before). The only problem with this is that Keith - who is terrible about brushing his own teeth - can NEVER remember to encourage Cole to brush his teeth when he gives Cole a bath. And since Keith doesn't floss, you can imagine what doesn't happen.

Potty training regression:

Cole won't even flush the toilet for us, let alone sit on it and pee or poop. He was great about it for months, doing it before he went to bed on a consistent basis. Then something happened - I have no idea what- and he suddenly doesn't even want to flush the toilet. Flushing the toilet used to be his favorite past-time! He wants nothing to do with the toilet or his potties. The only use he has for one of his potties is to stand on it when he's looking out his bedroom window. I have NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED.

Not nursing but still touching:

As you may remember, a little over two weeks ago, I had to stop breastfeeding for medical reasons. While it hasn't been an easy road since then, it has gotten a bit better. Although Cole still asks for Doo Doo when I get home (and it just about breaks my heart when he does), he is satisfied with this: touching Doo Doo. It's obvious to me how comforting Doo Doo is to him. I feel like it would be cruel for me to not let him touch it, especially since I didn't intend on weaning him like this. So most night's this week, Cole has fallen asleep in my arms while touching Doo Doo. It is just too sweet for words. That he loves this part of me so much that he still wants to have a connection with it, shows me what a loving human being I hold in my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment