Friday, June 1, 2012

Currently: Issue 1

I'm linking up with Randalin over at Harvesting Kale because I just love reading her "Currently" posts, and I think a link up is a great idea. Because of Randalin and the wonders of Instagram, I've found a lot more likeminded mamas in this here blogosphere.


Mama


Cooking local food and grass fed poultry and beef. Can you tell I've been reading The Omnivore's Dilemma and Animal. Vegetable. Miracle? Unfortunately, that was the first half of the week. Holiday weekends always screw us up. So the second half of the week, we cooked barely anything. We've also been going through some schedule changes lately and the end result is that we ate out way too many times this week. We're hoping to get back to regularly scheduled programming very soon.

Wearing my summer wardrobe. To me, though, summer {work} wardrobe is this: bermuda shorts, capris, skirts, and light tee-shirts. And don't forget sandals. I think I've been wearing sandals since March. And it's good to have practice, because when you teach in a 95 degree classroom you have to go to work prepared. (Although nothing can truly prepare you for what it is like to almost pass out in front of a bunch of 13 year olds.)

Wanting this school year to be over already. It's been a tough year for New York teachers. So much change, so much uncertainty. So much that people still don't know and don't want to believe. I'll be glad for that Friday in June when I can walk out the school doors with a little less homework and a lot more playtime.

Listening to lots of new (mostly female) artists on Pandora (like Ingrid Michaelson and Brandi Carlisle). I am also listening to the inspiring audiobook called What Teachers Make by Taylor Mali. If you ever get the chance to watch him perform the poem of the same name, you will never be the same. It is awe inspiring and a giant "F You" to anyone who ever thinks or says disparaging words about teachers and their paychecks. Can you tell I'm trying to work on my potty mouth?

Watching the 7th season of Grey's Anatomy. I missed the last two seasons because having a child prohibited me from being lucid enough to watch said television show at 9 p.m. on a school night. So, I've been watching the 7th season on my Kindle Fire because we have Amazon Prime and the first 7 seasons are free. Yes, my husband gets me a Kindle Fire for Mother's Day and I have watched television, blogged, and checked Facebook six hundred times, but I have not yet read a book. No fear, I downloaded some seemingly trashy romance novels and will be reading those in exactly 3 weeks.

Cole

Cooking up ways to get me into his rocketship so we can fly to cool places like the moon.

Wearing all new swim gear because he grew out of everything from last year. He's also wearing new Keene sandal shoes and new Tevas. He's also almost always a big smile if he's in or near water: a stream, a water fall, the pool.

Wanting to learn how to ride his new balance bike, but still feeling like it's falling. 

Listening to two things. First - The sounds outside. He can tell birds, the annoying rooster that lives down the street, whenever a lawn is being mowed, if someone is riding their motorcycle or a truck. I never in my wildest dreams thought my kid would be able to tell someone's lawn was being mowed on the other side of the neighborhood, but he has super sonic ears.  Second - Toddler Radio on Pandora. Whenever Cole starts to get cranky, or even if he's in a full blown meltdown, all I need to do is turn to his favorite station and we're getting our wiggles out in no time. It helps if I try to put on hats that don't fit and dance around like a maniac. He winds up imitating me (making my ridiculous dance moves look adorable) and cracking up so hard, he forgets that he was ever crying.

Watching the birds look for food, the neighbor's cats wait for their owners, and the various vehicles that pass by our house on a regular basis. Who needs television when our neighborhood is so entertaining? The other day, when we came home from day care, we got out of the car and all Cole wanted to do was watch an older man mow our neighbor's lawn. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up with us this week!

    I'm also a teacher, but I live in Texas. I cannot wait for summer vacation! Only one week left for me. I really need this break to keep my sanity. I also love your music taste. Brandi Carlile is one of my favorites. Oh, and your little boy is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I think there would be so many fewer teachers in this world if we didn't have long breaks in between.

      Thank you for the compliments and thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  2. Kale is OBSESSED with people mowing the lawn!!! Haha, we got him one of those toy mowers that blows bubbles, but obviously it does not compare to the sounds of the real deal.

    'Diet for a Dead Planet' is another good book you should check out. Michael Pollen is great and really changed the way we ate a few years back. I can't say that everything stuck, but his work definitely had a lasting impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were thinking about getting a toy mower. But we got a toy vacuum and, like you said, it just does not have the same appeal as the real thing. He likes it, but he still tries to take the real vacuum from us when we're vacuuming the house.

      I will check out the book (crossing my fingers it comes in audio). Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete