Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Moving on to Greener Pastures

They say the grass is always greener. I always keep this in mind when I hope for change. But I still want the change for some reason or another. And I am usually happier on the other end.

This time, the change I wanted is pretty monumental for me, professionally speaking. Not as earth shattering as switching from a career in journalism to one in education. Nor am I leaving my district. But it's still pretty big to me because it will be completely new. Starting in September I'll be teaching 9th grade. High School. I've taught 7th and 8th grade for six years now. That's all I've ever known. But this school year, more than any year, it really started to gnaw at me, and then by March it was eating away at me.  I realized that I was teaching some students who were at the height of immaturity, and I started to lack the nurturing patience that is required of someone dealing with pre-teens on the cusp of becoming teenagers. Seventh grade may be in the veins of some dedicated teachers, but it's just not in mine. I was ready to teach older students. I made my request known to my supervisor and despite some obstacles bumps in the road, my transfer request was granted at the end of last month.

This last week has been spent trying to move out and move on. I've got over 400 books in my classroom library and I was forced to part with many of them. I am saving several large tupperware containers of novels for Cole when he gets older, but the rest are going to my colleagues for their classroom libraries. I had old files, old posters, just crap everywhere. Today and yesterday I finally collected everything that I thought I would need and lost the rest in the myriad garbage cans at school. And this is all while trying to grade the 120 essays I assigned on May 29.  That's right. Queen of Procrastination and Princess Hypocrite is sitting right here. "Don't wait until the night before!" I always tell my students.

Next year, I will be in a new building with new colleagues. I will be teaching in unfamiliar classrooms that may not have the technology I am used to. (Back to overhead projectors - oh boy!) So, this summer I have my work cut out for me. I have a bunch of books to read and re-read, lots of planning to do, and, above all else, I have to ready myself for teaching high school. The good thing about the switch is this: Ninth grade is just a step away from 8th grade, so it is not as intimidating as if I were to start teaching 12th grade. I may also have some students I taught last school year. Familiarity could help us all adjust to our new surroundings.


No comments:

Post a Comment