Saturday, November 27, 2010

Six Months behind us, a lifetime ahead

When I was 11 years old, I suffered from seizures that almost took my life. Fortunately, when it happened I was in the home of my aunt, who is an LPN. She gave me CPR and essentially, saved my life. That and the charcoal they pumped into me at the hospital as well as the phenobarbital they later gave me. The neurologist I saw could never pinpoint what had actually caused the seizures. I didn't have epilepsy and never had another seizure after that. She surmised that I might have had viral encephalitis. Whatever the medical cause, my 11-year-old mind and spirit was mystified. I wanted to make some religious connection or give it some philosophical reason. I felt as though I was given a second chance at life, but I didn't know why.

I know I've said it here before, but I don't care. I now know why I was given that second chance. Because some higher power wanted me to experience love. It's funny that having a child is what helped me to realize that love is what this life is all about. Although I tend to sometimes focus on the negative, I know I am surrounded by people who love me. I feel very lucky to have fallen in love with such a good man and to have created such an amazing human being as a result of our love.

Six months. If you have a child then you know how much fun this age is. He's all smiles, except when we're trying to get him to go to sleep or except when he is about to eat. These are two times when he fusses. Other than that, he is a lovely baby who is thrilled to be living life. We don't have a well-baby visit until he is 7 months, so I can't tell you how much he weighs or how tall he is. I do know he's much heavier this week than he was last week or the week before. By my estimation, he's probably around -or more than - 17 pounds.
I've already written about how he's starting to learn how to crawl and how we're feeding him "real" solids, so I don't need to go into that.

I'm taking a page from Randalin and will list Cole's likes and dislikes.

Likes: sparkly, shiny things; jumping; to see what's behind him; touching the cats; looking at himself in the mirror; to catch someone's eye and smile at them; being flung through the air by daddy; music (Beatles, Bob Marley); dancing with Mommy or Daddy

Dislikes: going to sleep; being on his back; things on his head and neck; waiting to eat; not being able to see us

Honestly, it's hard to believe he went from this....

to this in a matter of six months...

2 comments:

  1. Ah Cole and Kale - brothers from different mothers! They are so much alike!! Happy 6 months Cole!

    ReplyDelete