Thursday, November 11, 2010

Routines

This post took me several days to write. I hope you enjoy it....
Our weekdays are mostly very similar, although everything always depends on Cole. We have our regular routine with Cole and he has a pretty regular routine at day care.
It starts like this:
I wake up and most of the time I nurse Cole if he's hungry.
I get out of bed and Keith puts Cole on his chest if Cole is fussy. Cole almost always falls back to sleep in Daddy's arms.
After making breakfast and lunch for Keith, pumping, showering and such, I wake Keith up if he's not already awake.
I leave for work and Keith eats breakfast while Cole plays with his toys in the high chair. If Cole is hungry Keith will feed him what I've pumped.
Keith changes and dresses Cole and then puts him down for a nap while he gets ready for work.

Cole's day at daycare usually includes the following: 2 short naps and one longish nap. The naps more and more are happening in the crib because we requested that and also because Cole is trying to roll over in the swing or rocker. He usually has 3 or 4 feedings.
The day care teacher says she now usually gives Cole a bottle while he sits in the bouncy seat. She says he helps to hold the bottle while she sits next to him helping him with the bottle. He also has tummy time and plays in the Baby Einstein. Other teachers come in and also hold him. I know this because I picked him up the other day and found him in the arms of a toddler teacher who does not hide her adoration for him.

During my work day I pump twice a day. I am given only one paid period to pump. I sometimes spend an extra half hour to 45 minutes in my classroom grading.

I get home and nurse Cole right away. Then Keith gets home and starts to make dinner. If I can get Cole down for a nap then I can help Keith. Later, Cole sits in the high chair while we eat and talk. Sometimes he gets cranky and one of us has to hold him. Then we bathe him, sometimes together, sometimes not. Then I nurse him and he generally falls asleep that way. I try to go to sleep too because by that point I'm beyond exhausted. However, this last part- his last feeding before bed is changing somewhat. It's always a work in progress. For instance, last night we fed him mommy's milk with rice cereal and he loved it. Keith bought brown rice cereal from the health food store and I smelled the mixture and it smelled yummy. During the night he wakes up every 2 hours or so to ear. He may have a 3 hour stretch, but that's usually in the beginning of his sleep.
All in all things ( aside from the work I have to do at home ) are getting more manageable. That's not to say we don't have difficult nights....
Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! It gives me a glimpse into what things will be like for us when I go back to work soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! You were the one who inspired it. I read your 6-month update and thought I should do something on routines too!

    ReplyDelete