Friday, November 5, 2010

Props

I've got to give props to the baby. Cole is a versatile, loving, amazingly affectionate baby. He's also smiley beyond my wildest dreams, and I love him more than life itself.  In the weeks following giving birth to him, I realized my purpose in life. This may sound cheesy or mushy or whatever you think, but it doesn't make it less true. I'd always had this dream of publishing a book. In fact I've been working on a novel for the past few years. I always thought writing was my purpose in life. But then came Cole. And I suddenly realized why my father dropped his dreams to take care of me when my mother wouldn't. I realized why my father worried sick over me when I didn't call or tell him where I was. I realized so many things about being a parent and how the love you have for a child could fill an entire planet.

Props to my husband too for being a good father, a good husband, and for feeding me well. As hard as it is for both of us sometimes - what with the sleep deprivation, illnesses and responsibilities hanging over us - he is there for me and for Cole whenever we need him. Watching him parent our son makes me fall in love all over again.

Props to me too, for being a nurturing mom, despite not getting that nurture from my own mother. I make sure my son gets the love he wants and needs and then some. I let him know he is loved and cared for in so many ways.  And props to me for being an English teacher and a breastfeeding mother at the same time, which, I will tell you, is no easy feat.

3 comments:

  1. I give props to your whole family too! You guys are awesome and I love reading this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. double props on the working and breastfeeding full time! i hear ya!
    p.s. cole is getting so big!! and cuter by the minute!

    ReplyDelete