Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day care update

So things are going better in daycare. Cole is getting more used to the new room and the new teachers. He doesn't cry when Keith drops him off now, and when I leave for the day he is usually not too upset (except for this morning). Likewise, the new teachers are understanding and trying their best to meet his needs. What we're still not happy about:

They ask parents to bring in snacks twice a month. That means every day the parents one of the 10 children provides a morning and afternoon snack. This would be fine if everyone provided nutritious snacks like we do, but some parents bring in junk food like pretzels and cheez-its. Really? That's what you want your kid eating for two out of three of his meals? We've asked them to give Cole another snack we provided when they're serving overly processed crap.

The director buys fruit cocktail and serves it to the kids as an addition to their lunch. She says she rinses it, but I don't care. It's still saturated with sugary syrup and in my opinion holds no nutritional value. We asked that they let us know when it's being served so we can provide fresh fruit for Cole.

Another kid scratched Cole yesterday. And it wasn't an accident either. Cole apparently wanted to read the same book this kid was reading and this kid got mad and grabbed the skin around Cole's eye leaving a nice scratch that he keeps rubbing right underneath his eye. They made the kid apologize etc, but Cole later grabbed the same area around my eye later that evening. Monkey see, monkey do. And when I inquired about the scratch the look on her face coupled with her hesitation to tell me made me pause and wonder if she would have told me if I hadn't asked.

Aside from my various complaints, Cole seems like he's having an alright time there. I say alright because he doesn't appear to be overly happy when I pick him up. But he's not sad either. Maybe just relieved that I'm there to pick him up. It's as if he's saying, "It's about time you got here."

Here's another high chair pic. Taken tonight by Keith while I am at work dealing with Open House #1.

3 comments:

  1. He's using a spoon already?? I'm sorry daycare is not optimum. Hang in there. I hope you get some sleep tonight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really cannot understand why child care centres offer junk food. I also can't believe you're asked to bring snacks. I barely have enough time to get proper meals together at home, never mind trying to figure out something for 10 kids to snack on!

    That being said, I'm sure we'll always find something to complain about when someone else is watching our kid, right? I'm not suggesting that your complaints aren't valid, but honestly, no one can do it better than us, right?

    I love the pic of Cole. He looks like is a champ with the utensils!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori- yes, but only in practice mode. He's by no means an expert, and he still prefers to eat with his hands.

    Randalin -I totally hear you. And I keep saying to myself - well this is a day care center, which by nature means less attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete