Sunday, March 20, 2011

Vacation Envy/ Vacation Flashback

Lately I've been envying people and their cool vacations. A few examples:
Amy, Mike and Sophia went to Mexico recently. I believe they vacationed on the Yucatan Peninsula. The pictures were beautiful and they had a lot of fun (you could tell from the pictures).
P-squared are going to Europe for a few weeks in the late Spring, which means they unfortunately won't be able to make Cole's  first birthday. Fortunately for them, they'll be in Europe!
Keith's friend Melissa is hiking the ENTIRE Appalachian Trail with her father. She flew to Georgia and will walk all the way until the end, in Maine. Her dad is retired. I think that I would like to do that same trip when Keith & I retire. Maybe a portion of it when Cole gets older.

I'm way into road trips. Unfortunately, I never had the cash to do a road trip across the country. I've only seen parts of the midwest from an airplane. However, in the Spring 2009, before we got pregnant with Cole, Keith and I did a road trip down south. We took the coast down to North Carolina (Outer Banks) and stayed in Virginia Beach along the way (FYI Virginia Beach off season is really cheap and a lot of fun). Then we drove across North Carolina to Ashville (we decided it was a cross between New Paltz and Albany, which meant it was a really cool city). We planned to hike in the Smokies but the weather was unseasonably cold and it had snowed, causing them to close the roads into the National Park. Apparently they don't believe in snow plows. So we settled on Pigsah National Park and had a fun time on a few gnarly trails. This all leads me to the fact that my spring break, which is coming up in several weeks. My birthday is during that week too. Hence, we are going to go somewhere. We realize we have to be reasonable since we will have a 10 month old with us (that birthday is coming up very soon!), so we may just end up a few hours away in the Berkshires. Time will tell. Either way, I'm looking forward to a little R & R. Ha ha. I just said Rest and Relaxation. Like THAT would happen. Okay. I'm looking forward to a little time somewhere else besides here with my family. I'd prefer it to be warm. But I'm not picky (now Keith is laughing).

 For pure entertainment, here are some pics from that awesome road trip we took two years ago.

It took us forever to get to this waterfall in Pigsah. But it was worth it. After all, we got to take this picture! And no, we did not pay a stranger to take this. Keith set the camera up on a tree stump and the camera did the rest.


The windy Outer Banks

Me on the largest sand dune on the East Coast
Keith driving somewhere in Delaware. Did I mention he did most of the driving?

Sunset from the road in Tennessee. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm having vacation envy too since my MIL and SIL are going to Florida next week. The pictures from your trip are great. I completely forgot you guys did that. Seems like forever ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one, too. I have to settle for the 6 days I have off in mid-April, which will be spent with my in-laws, celebrating Zach's birthday while everyone can be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I know I have no right to complain or be jealous since we just got back from an awesome vacation. HOWEVER - I LOVE road trips and with Kale STILL hating the carseat, a "roadtrip" these days is a trip to the grocery store!
    I love seeing your flashback pics. It's going to be great to compare them to family roadtrip pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori - glad I'm not alone in that dept!

    Mommy A- At least you'll be in a different state!

    Randalin - Yes, I guess we are lucky that Cole likes the car seat. He still sleeps in it for long trips. And every time that happens, I count my lucky stars.

    ReplyDelete