Saturday, March 5, 2011

My efforts and the results

So it is far from over (my plot to get my milk supply back up) but I am getting there.

Here's the dealio. On Monday I spoke to an LC who met Cole during the summer. She basically told me I must keep nursing him on the right side as much as I can. And when he refuses to nurse, let him nurse on the left side, but then quickly put him back on the right. I've been doing it, with some success, but he's starting to figure out what I'm up to (which translates into him holding onto my left nipple when I try to release the suction. Fun times!)

I have also been pumping an extra session at night and taking More Milk Plus four times a day. And I have a partner! My friend who is also having supply issues just so happened to text me the other night while I was pumping and we got to talk-texting and it turned out she was also pumping! We were both at the same breaking point too. So we decided to try to be each other's supportive ear and commit to several days of the full dosage of More Milk Plus and that extra night nursing session in addition to the two pumping sessions at work. We'd also try to text during those pumping sessions. I had a set back yesterday (and an all around shitty day) when I left the pump parts to my electric pump at home. I had to use my Ameda manual and did not get enough as I usually do. It sucked big time. Luckily, I pumped at night and then again in the morning, so he ended up drinking almost all breast milk today.

To sum it up, Cole is drinking about one bottle of formula a day to supplement the breast milk. I don't like it, but that's the way it has to be for now. He needs about 12 ounces while I'm at work and I can't pump that much, especially not now. But, maybe I can get there again. Either way, he's getting most of his nutrition from breast milk (as Allison once pointed out) so that's good!

5 comments:

  1. more milk plus worked for me. I saw results somewhere between 48-72 hrs after being on the full dose. I know it's frustratin, as we all know I've been there. I'm always here as a supportive ear (ans I'm a poet and didn't know it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes, the more milk plus is helping big time. I'm now at about 1/2 ounce, which is a huge improvement from the drops I was getting a week ago. I'm going to continue to take it. Did you take it regularly or did you stop when you got your supply where you wanted it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I love that you have a supportive partner (besides Keith, of course!). You are my breastfeeding hero.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Randalin for your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete