Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Snot rockets and a SOLID discovery!

So remember the scrunched up face that Cole makes? Well, Keith started playing copy cat with Cole Sunday evening and got Cole to really blow out of his nose while making the scrunched up face. Usually, he does it, but only once. This time, Keith got him to do it multiple times when we discovered that when he did it, it pushed some snot from his nose. He was blowing his own nose! So Keith did it a bunch of times while I was feeding Cole sweet potatoes and turnips (a small victory!) We realized how we could capitalize off of this. So Keith grabbed a few tissues and went to town. Cole blew out all of the snots in his nose! Snot rockets! No Nose Frida needed! (Thank the Lord!)  (see footnote if you want to know more about Nose Frida)

Speaking of small discoveries. I sat down once again with Cole Sunday evening to feed him his solids. The minute I placed him in his high chair he began to cry real tears. And I felt exasperated. I have no idea why he keeps crying like this when the high chair has never been an issue before. So Keith comes in and motions for me to take Cole out. He moves the chair at the opposite end of the table so it has a better view of the kitchen. I place Cole in the chair and Voila! He lights up; I feed him and an amazing thing happens: He eats most of the food. No tears and even an occasional smile. All it took was a change in location!

Footnote: Have I told you about the Nose Frida? If not, it's a Swedish invention wherein one of the parental units suck the snots out of Cole's nose using our own lung power. It's a disgusting concept, but it purports to be germ free (there's a filter involved). And the kicker is that it works much better than the crappy bulb nasal aspirator. Only problem is that the baby gets this look on his face that indicates he is afraid we are going to suck his brain out. Then he screams bloody murder, and the entire process is torture for both baby and parents.

3 comments:

  1. I have to claim the title of the Queen of the Bulb Syringe, though. I'm a professional! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! For some reason, I knew you would be (the queen that is). I totally thought that you were probably laughing at me (but in a nice way) when I said how crappy it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trick is to use your finger to occlude the opposite nostril so you form more of a vacuum. Much more effective.

    ReplyDelete