Tuesday, February 19, 2013

We went to Target and survived

Tuesday was our first trip outside of our little town as a family of 4. We went all the way up to Kingston (insert laugh track here at my use of the phrase "all the way up" when Kingston is a mere 15 minutes away.) Our goal was to get diapers and other necessities at Target with the generous Target gift card we received from my department at work. We also planned to eat at a restaurant and go to the bank. This was definitely the most planned trip (and also the most highly anticipated). It went off without a hitch, really and that was all thanks to our planning, level headed strategizing in the car about where to eat, and our flexibility when a certain someone was hungry or cranky.

We started out with a stroller, but it wasn't too long before I was wearing Bevin in the Boba 3G (my go-to carrier as of late) and pushing all of our coats and bags in the stroller. Like usual we had to pay what SuperDada likes to call Target Tax -wherein we purchase a mandatory toy (but carefully negotiated) for Cole. This is a usual occurrence lately because Target strategically placed the toy aisles near the beginning of the store (this is after their huge remodel they did months ago) so that your toddler is bound to see the toys during the first 5 minutes of your shopping trip. We think of this as a "tax" because its the price we pay for not having a child on the verge of a meltdown because of extreme boredom. We also don't have to distract him with a ton of snacks (thereby spoiling his appetite for the aforementioned restaurant outing). If he gets the toy during the beginning of the shopping excursion he is content to look/play with his new toy while sitting happily in the cart.
Just as we headed for the checkout we realized that we might have a screaming hungry baby letting us know of her unhappiness if I didn't stop to nurse her. So while SuperDada and Cole checked out I sat in the Starbucks cafe of the Target and nursed Bevin.

Wouldn't you know it? While I was nursing her, the labor and delivery nurse who checked me in the night Bevin was born recognized me. I think she wanted me to move the nursing cover to show her Bevin ( her shift ended before Bevin was born) but I did not feel like sharing my boob with Target so I just smiled politely.

We ate at Enzo's where I nursed Bevin without a cover (my first time ever in a restaurant )since the place was practically empty. After lunch Cole had himself a post-apple juice frenzied dance party and then SuperDada and I punctuated the day with joint poopy diaper changes.

My "Hooter Hider" cover


We can't go to Target without stopping for coffee, tea and treats first


Wearing Bevin in the Boba at Best Buy (we didn't actually buy anything there)


Dance Party at Enzo's


Wherein the stroller just becomes another annoying thing we have to push around


Checkout

No comments:

Post a Comment