Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Update from our "baby moon"

This is my happy place.

Parenting a newborn the second time around is so different. There is a sense of calm that wasn't there before. There is a sense of confidence that whatever challenges you face, you know you will get through them alive and a better parent.

Of course there are moments, even whole days when it feels like whatever you do it's just not quite right. Sometimes I feel like I'm never going to be the mother I want to be to both my children at the same time. But who among us is that perfect? You just have to strive to be better the next moment or the next day because children are resilient and they bounce back from your mistakes faster than you do.

My incision is healing well so far, although the itchiness is enough to drive me up the wall! I haven't been doing much in terms of strenuous activity. Dada takes care of the chores and cooking and pretty much everything else in the house. I might start to call him SuperDada.

Speaking of SuperDada, I've been handing over Bevin to him for the past few mornings, so I can spend some quality time with Cole. Bevin sleeps soundly in the sling for an hour or two while SuperDada works on the computer, and Cole and I can play together. We even made lunch together Tuesday (not that was a good enough reason for him to actually finish his lunch).

Babywearing has been going amazingly well. Unlike Cole, she loves to be worn. She sleeps like a champ when she's in the sling or the Ergo (which SuperDada wears). I wear her in the sling only because the soft structured carriers would hurt my incision. I would have tried the Moby wrap Tuesday, but upon checking the instructions on the website, it says the wrap is for babies 8-35 lbs. Bevin is definitely not 8lbs yet, although I would venture to say she's at least 7 lbs now. She's definitely filling out and fitting into more newborn clothes. She nurses and poops more than enough so I know she's trying to bulk up.  I do have another wrap (the Wrapsody) but it's not that stretchy and I'm not crazy about it. I may try it out of desperation anyway, since the sling hurts my back - although it does a great job of keeping her high on my chest and not touching my abdomen at all.

Nursing has been going well. I have a good supply going. I've been trying to pump (with my new Ameda Purely Yours pump) in the morning at least every other day. I found myself explaining to Cole the ins and outs of pumping and then watching in horror as he tried to turn the dials on my pump. Not cool, little guy, not cool!! Bevin won't take a bottle just yet, but we aren't giving up. When she finally does, SuperDada will take over one nightime feeding so Mama can get some rest. Sleep has not been happening for me. Bevin prefers to sleep in the crook of my arm or SuperDada's arm most nights.


Bevin's happy place.


Keith calls this "Baby on the man-boob"  hold (actually, I had to censor his original name for this hold. This is my edited version.)


Sound asleep in the Fisher Price Rocker. She's a side and belly sleeper. HATES the back. 


Love me some baby wearing!


After our post partum appointment we found ourselves in the Rhinebeck health food store cafe. This is the Ergo I bought on Baby Steals and the infant insert that Lori lent me.


Cole really loves his baby sister

7 comments:

  1. Loved this update :) It's great to hear how things are going and I love all the pics of Bevin being worn. I showed Kale the pics and he said "awwww! A baby! But where's Cole?!" I think he thought Cole warped into a baby - haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I need to update your side-bar info now that Bevin is here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just about to post on your FB asking how YOU are doing with the whole c-section thing. (Obviously, Bevin is perfect and doing well because, well, you rock, Mama!) Glad to hear all is going well. I totally did not know that about the Moby! Zachy dropped down to 5 lbs 14 and I used it on him! OMG don't call the parenting police!!! You're a good girl and read directions, unlike me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I remembered that you wore him but for some reason I was thinking Zachy was bigger than 8 lbs. I had forgotten that he was a big size for his gestational age. I think what stuck with me was that if Zachy had gone to full term he'd probably have been a 9lb baby or something like that.

      Delete