Sunday, February 10, 2013

Changes

All it takes is one look at my camera roll on my iPhone to see who I've been spending more time with. Bonding - which includes nursing round the clock and babywearing - will do that to a mommy. But, it doesn't mean that I am not constantly thinking about or planning ways to spend quality time with my firstborn. Cole is still my sunshine. I love my son like there is no tomorrow. But some things have changed since Bevin was born almost 3 weeks ago
1) I haven't put Cole to bed since that night I went into labor.
2) I haven't picked Cole up since that night.
3) Cole doesn't follow my directions like he once did.
4) For several nights now, Cole has been sleeping in his converted toddler bed (we took the rail off and put a safety rail up instead) in preparation for the night that SuperDada returns to work and I begin putting Cole to bed again.
5) Cole and SuperDada have a much closer bond since Mama has been spending more time with Bevin nursing her and wearing her (although SuperDada does his share of babywearing).

But some things haven't changed.
1) Cole still likes to help Mama, and Mama loves help from Cole. Just this Sunday, Cole helped Mama make chocolate chip muffins. What Cole loves to do most in this world is bring his stool right up to the counter all the while declaring he's a strong boy. Then he likes to investigate the items on the countertop and do whatever he can to help in the meal making or baking.
2) Cole still loves his baby sister (he loved her when she was in the womb as well). He has not seen her as a usurper (yet) and continues to bestow his unconditional love upon her via kisses, hugs, squeezes, head nudges, and nosies.
3) Cole and Mama still read a book together each night.
4) Cole and Mama still do art "parjets" together and play playdough while SuperDada holds Bevin or while Mama babywears. I've even nursed Bevin and played playdough with Cole. Parenting two children is all about multitasking while maintaining patience. And that patience is key (not that I always have it, but I know its value).

The following should be filed under the title of... "Now THIS is why Mama bought all of those baby carriers."

Since Bevin HATES being put in anything remotely resembling a swing or bouncy seat if she's even kind of half awake, we end up wearing or holding her quite frequently. This means all of the baby items we have around the house are useless. But it also means all of the baby carriers I've purchased or been given in the past are proving to be very useful and worth the money. If it's worth it to buy a $150 swing for the first baby so he can sleep for more than an hour at a time, it's worth it to be a $100 carrier so baby number 2 can sleep for more than five minutes at a time.

SuperDada prefers the Zolowear Sling when he's walking around the house picking things up or sitting at his computer. If we're out and about (which is not often since I am still recovering and have really been laying low these days), SuperDada wears Bevin in the Ergo with the infant insert. When I wear her around the house, I use the Maya Wrap ring sling given to me by Allison. I prefer this because it has good shoulder and upper back padding. It's also slightly easier to adjust then the Zolowear sling. I have also been using our Wrapsody Wrap here and there and have attempted to nurse in it, but have not been completely successful. Bevin falls asleep pretty quickly in the wrap and it feels better on my back then the slings. I've also started using the Boba 3G I bought in the fall of 2011. This is a soft structured carrier that allows you to fold up the lower part of it to make it easy to carry a newborn/young infant. This means it does not ride on my incision like the Ergo would if I wore it. It's super easy to put on and fasten and the best part about it is that Bevin falls asleep instantly. On Sunday, she was exhausted and cranky and would not fall asleep for very long no matter what I tried. Finally, I tried the Boba and she was sleeping within seconds. No. Joke.



Bevin in the Boba 3G

Babywearing while dance partying with a toddler

Bevin in the Wrapsody

Lulling her to sleep


Helping Mama - chocolate chip muffins!



1 comment:

  1. I loved this update :) It's great to hear how parenting two is going and I love what you said about patience - so true!

    ReplyDelete