Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Never Wake a Sleeping Mommy

You know how they say to Never Wake a Sleeping Baby? Well you should also remember Rule #2 of Parenting: Never Wake a Sleeping Mommy - unless the baby is starving and screaming and crying because of it. If not, let mommy sleep. This morning at 1 a.m., I woke up to Keith prodding me. "Hey," he said sweetly. "Hey," I responded disoriented. My first thought - why did he wake me? My next two thoughts: what time is it and how long have I slept? I checked the clock- a mere two hours. Insert heavy sigh here. "Is the baby crying?" I asked? "No," he said, as he settled back onto his pillow. "Is he awake?" "No," he said, eyes closing. I turned around and found Cole sound asleep in the co-sleeper. "Then why did you wake me?" "Huh?"
 I repeated myself, starting to get annoyed."Why did you wake me up then?"
"I didn't wake you up," he said, as if he, too, was just waking up. And you can imagine how the conversation ended. Yep, you got it - with Cole waking up anyway. Thankfully, I did not raise holy hell, because I realized after thinking back to the way he woke me up that Keith must have been half asleep when he did it.  There is no reason on this planet why he should have woken up a sleep-deprived sleeping mommy. 


1 comment: