Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Three year old: A walking contradiction

Lately I've been reading this word on the blogosphere: threenager. Now I'm not sure if this is a newly created word or has been around for ages, mostly in part because I only started reading about other 3-year-olds when Cole turned 3. But I can tell you that it is the TRUTH. One of the things I have noticed about teenagers is that they contradict themselves a lot, mostly because they are trying to fit in. Why a 3-year-old contradicts himself is probably for similar reasons- he's trying to find his place in the works. He knows he needs/wants something but isn't quite sure it's the thing he needs/wants, so he changed his mind in the same sentence.  

Here are some real conversations we've had. 

I have to pee. 
Okay so pee. 
But I don't HAVE to peeeeeeeeee!

I want to give this motorcycle (toy) away to somebody. 
Okay. Who do you want to give it away to?
Nooooo! I don't want to give it away. No, don't give it away!

I have to peepoop. 
You have to pee and poop?
Nooooo!!! I don't have to pee OR poop!!
Then why did you say you had to peepoop?
I didn't say that. 

Cole yawns. 
Are you tired?
I'm NOOOOT tired. 
Rubs eyes. 

I just peed and pooped. 
Really? Did you wipe?
Yes. I pooped and I wiped.
So I'm going to see poop in the toilet if I go and check?
I peed and I pooped and I flushed (this trifecta almost NEVER happens)
Really? You did all three? I should check then to make sure you wiped. 
I just peed. (Maybe this should be filed under: LIES LIKE A TEENAGER)

I'm sure I could give you a thousand (seriously) more examples, but I have to pee. No, wait. I don't HAVE to pee! Just come to the toilet with me so I can show you how much I don't have to pee. Oh, okay, I guess I had to pee. 


This picture was taken exactly 15 minutes after he told me he was not tired....





4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the threenager. I have heard this around the blogosphere too and completely agree. Not only does Kale contradict himself, but he has the attitude of a teenager - saucy and bossy one minute, sweet as pie the next. And the independence? Like he knows best how to take care of himself? I'm just waiting for the day he comes home to tell me he crashed the family car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. We have that going on here as well.

    ReplyDelete