Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Seven Months: Bevin Jean

My seven-month old. My daughter. Most mornings, when she wakes up with a perma grin, I lie my head on the mattress next to her and shower her with kisses, tell her how much I love her, and am grateful for the chance to raise a daughter.

She's growing so much and in so many ways. It's hard to keep track.

She smiles at everybody. So much that people say "She's such a good baby! I bet she never cries!"
When she gets extra happy she whacks her arms against her chest and legs while smiling. She'll go farther and laugh if you a) are Cole  b) tickle her feet   c) change her diaper   d) tickle her belly.

She's sitting up on her own for longer and longer periods. Since she was 3 or 4 months she has been able to pull her head up if she's lying down to watch whatever entertaining event is happening in the room (usually Cole running, jumping, screaming or talking). She can lift her head higher and higher and for longer periods of time as she practices this skill.

She can get on her hands and knees, and she's moved backwards a little to crawl, but no forward movement. And that is FINE! Keep sitting, kid! I'm enjoying a sitting baby. When she wakes up in the middle of the night, she easily flips herself over to being on her belly and back again. Last night, she flipped over and started to practice crawling and I just about cried. But then she gave up and went back to nursing. When she's leaning on one of us or the Boppy pillow, she often arches her back so she can move down and OFF the pillow or us. It's like she wants to be on her own and moving, but she doesn't quite know what to do once she's not leaning on something or someone anymore. At that point she's crying or grunting in frustration.

She is trying to talk! She's got lots of sounds, but one that is really discernible is the "Immmmmm" that she's been making. "Immmaaaammmm." Keith and I are convinced she's trying to say "Mama." It just warms my heart and it makes total sense. She's usually saying the "Immmm" sound when she's not in my arms and she wants me (which is usually the case if she's not in my arms and she's tired, hungry or just missing me).

She has started solids. I decided that we'd try Baby Led Weaning instead of spoon feeding her homemade purees like we did with Cole. It's right up her alley, since she's been trying to take my plate and food off my plate since she was around 4 or 5 months old.  She mostly eats from my plate, but we'll also put her in the (space saver) high chair, which she doesn't love, and give her food there. I follow the philosophy that food before one is for fun and that she'll let me know how much and if she wants to eat. I like this way of feeding her because it requires very little preparation and it's exactly what she wants. I don't like this way of feeding because it freaks me out. I am nervous about her choking so I'm watching her like a hawk, barely eating my own meal. She gags a lot, and sometimes vomits her milk (and sometimes the food), but afterward she recovers easily and quickly and wants to dive into my plate for more. I have calmed down a bit, especially after writing the author of the book, Baby Led Weaning, (and getting an awesomly informative and reassuring response!) and signing up for an infant CPR and choking class (happening tonight), but it's still a balancing act. I have to balance my trust in the process that she will gag and spit it back out if the food is too big or too much for her and she will swallow it if it's the right size. There's also the little voice inside my head that thinks of all those other babies who are eating purees and getting way more nutrients because of the fact that they are probably eating more, but she is getting her breastmilk and that is enough for the first year. I must remind myself that now is for tasting all sorts of foods (not as paranoid about allergies this time around) and for exploring the textures and sizes of the food. I love watching her succeed at picking up something and placing it in her mouth or coming up with an alernative if it's too slippery. It's also interesting to watch her grunt in frustration, arch her back like she's given up and wants out, and then go back suddenly determined to get a hold of the food in front of her.

She watches other babies and children intently, often enamored by their antics, cries, and movements. She's around other children quite often, since we've met a number of friends for playdates or just hangouts throughout the summer. And then of course, there's #1 - Cole. He can do no wrong in her eyes. All he has to do is jump up and down while I'm holding her trying to tap her arm and she is cracking up laughing!

She has started to feel seperation anxiety. When we drop her off on her daycare day, she knows what's happening, her eyes get glassy and she starts to cry. At home, when I leave the room and she wasn't ready to be away from me, she cries for me, even if Daddy is holding her. Of course, knowing this has made me feel pretty sad about having to return to work in two weeks. And guilty. I spent all of this quality time with her for 7 months and then I'm just going to leave and go back to work? It's going to be hard. I know I'm not doing anything wrong by society's standards, but by hers, I am. She's going to miss me, she's going to cry for me, but she will get over it eventually and she'll adjust to her new way of life. Daddy at home during the day, Mommy in the afternoons and evenings. September will be hard, but hopefully October will be easier and November even easier or at least happier (because easier isn't always possible in the first year).

Cool things she's done in the past three months (in no particular order):
-Gone on 4 camping trips in 3 states
-Went to the Mid-Hudson Children's Museum
-Went to the Mystic Aquarium
-visited family in LI
-was blessed by the officiant who married Keith and I and who blessed Cole
-started day care
-learned how to drink out of the bottle (she'll even take one from me now!)
-started eating solid food

Pictures from the past three months...
Meeting cousin Damien for the first time

First camping trip at Lake Taghkanic. We match.

Sunset at Hammonasset Beach.

Her eyes are so beautiful and clear, you can see the sun set in them.

Watching cousin Emmie

Happy Happy Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment