Thursday, April 4, 2013

Currently





Currently -- week of April 4

If our children ever demand that they want us to pay for their therapy bills, then we'll just show them our chiropractic bills and call it even.

No matter what carrier I use these days my back is effing killing me. Which brings me to...

Mama is currently...

Drinking lots of water and lots of black tea. Earlier this week I was drinking apple cider vinegar, honey and water to try to fend off the cold from hell that SuperDada and Cole had (and still seem to have.) sometimes when SuperDada gets home from work we have a beer together.

Buying lots of used things. Wednesday we bought a used sleeper for Bevin and a used pair of Woody (toy story character because SuperDada and Cole love that movie) boot slippers. I'm also trying to find a used car seat that will fit into the sit and stand stroller I got for free from a friend. It's still cheaper than buying a new double stroller.

Missing nothing. I like my life the way it is right now. I miss nothing about work, except for my work friends. But we keep in touch, and I don't have to worry about grading or planning. Best of both worlds. Grading -- I will never miss that.

Driving close to home because Bevin is not a fan of the car. Everything has to be ready before we put her in the car seat. Once she's in the car seat it's all systems go. Boom! Grab last minute things in a matter of seconds (because I always forget something). Boom! Get her in. Boom! Get Cole in. Boom! Jump in my seat. Cole: "Hurry before Bevin starts crying!" SuperDada is down the driveway just as I'm getting my seatbelt on, and if we're lucky she falls fast asleep. If not, well then.....shiiiiiiit. We got ourselves a screaming baby. And SuperDada is all. "I knew we should've just gone to Emmanuel's (local grocery store that is very convenient but kind of pricey)."

Obsessing over expressing and storing my breast milk. I pump daily. I can usually be found pumping a) when Bevin first goes down for her morning nap or b) while Bevin is nursing her favorite side (and, thus, neglecting the other less favored side) and sometimes c) when Bevin is done nursing but didn't "empty" one side.
I have been freezing the milk and sometimes I will just open the freezer and stare lovingly at all of my bags of milk. All of that hard work. All of that liquid gold. All of that love.

Cole is currently ...

Eating his dinner ONLY when I force him to throw it out. Then and only then is it finally appealing to him. Suddenly, he's all "Oh! Yemme eat that chickpea." He must have inherited my "must save everything" gene.

Buying or wanting to buy everything he sees on commercials or in the store. He says "I think I wanted _____" or "I think I wanted to buy_____"
And we explain to him that yes indeed you do - that the goal of a commercial is to get you to think you need or want something when you never even knew the product existed. It's a very complicated concept for a two year old to understand. SuperDada was putting him to sleep over the weekend when Cole started to tell him about Stompies - a stupid slipper he saw on a commercial that morning. Obviously our little talk went in one ear and out the other - a huge trend lately.

Not missing whatever toy he is currently hiding. He tends to hide his toys and then forgets where he hides them. Consequently, he forgets he even has the toy. Whenever we discover the hidden/missing toy we always realize that we must record his hiding spots, but always forget.

Obsessed with making tea and coffee for us in the Keurig. Anytime one of us turns on the Keurig, Cole is grabbing his stool and, in seconds, is planting the stool in front of the coffee maker. We've been doing it for about a week now. So Monday morning we thought we'd let him make Superdada a cup of coffee on his own while I surreptitiously made breakfast (another thing he's obsessed with helping us make). The basket and cup ended up in the container of ground coffee! Next thing I know Cole is tossing the spoon behind the Keurig machine and turning the Keurig off! And I'm all WTF?! And then I remembered that he's 2 and probably only remembered the first two steps of the coffee making process. Since I teach teenagers, I'll say that that's pretty damn good. But the spoon behind the Keurig machine was a total mystery to me. I ended up finding two more spoons behind there. And then it dawned on me - he's now hiding kitchen tools. Yikes!

Bevin is currently writing her own themes...

Starting to hold things this week. Monday she grabbed the band on my wrist watch and moved it. Today she was gripping on to my finger.

Gaining lots of weight! Woohoo for Mama's milk! Wednesday was her 2 month well baby visit (a couple weeks late). She weighs 10lbs 7 oz. She's 22.25 inches long and her head is now 14 inches in circumference. Two pounds every month. Awesome! She's pretty much out if her newborn clothes and into the 0-3 months clothes.

Understanding the word "milk" and "nurse. " I noticed this about a month ago when I said to her "Do you want some milk ? Do you want to nurse?" And she practically nodded her head up and down she got so excited. Well today at our doctor visit SuperDada was talking to her and telling her how he takes his coffee. When he said the word "milk" she began to lick her lips.

Obsessing over her brother. She's really starting to watch his every move. Wednesday night I was wearing her in the sling and she was just staring down at him as he finished his bath.

Taking a bath at the same time as her brother this week. (Usually I bathe her after he goes to sleep.) Bevin has an awesome bath tub and loves her bath. Hopefully, I don't jinx it by telling you this but it was pretty fun giving her a bath while he took his.





1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I do not miss the days of rushing to get places because of Kale's hatred of the carseat!

    Kale is also really into "buying" stuff lately. He constantly wants to go to the store and buy something. I don't mind getting a little something here or there, but know it will eventually become bigger and more expensive stuff he wants and I have to remind myself to set good habits now. I'm sooooo glad we don't have to deal with commercials (we have Apple TV). When I do see a kids commercial, I'm always so shocked about how freaking aggressive they are!

    ReplyDelete